Kristin Smart was a student of California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly) in San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo County, California, United States. Here are 10 more things about her:
- She was born to Stan Smart and Denise Smart in Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany. Stan and Denise worked as teachers of the children of American military personnel in Augsburg.
- When she was a child, she and her family immigrated to Stockton, San Joaquin County, California.
- She has one brother and one sister.
- She was 6’1″ tall.
- In 1994, she studied in Venezuela as an exchange student. She wanted to become fluent in Spanish.
- In 1995, she graduated from Lincoln High School in Stockton. After her graduation, she worked as a lifeguard and camp counselor at Camp Mokuleia in Waialua, Hawaii, USA.
- In June 1996, she entered Cal Poly.
- On May 25, 1996, Kristin attended an off-campus birthday party in San Luis Obispo. At around 2:00 a.m., she was found passed out on a neighbor’s lawn. Her fellow Cal Poly students Paul Flores, Tim Davis and Cheryl Anderson helped her walk to her dormitory room safely. Davis and Anderson were the first and second to depart the group, respectively. Flores claimed that he walked her as far as his dormitory and let her to walk back to her dormitory by herself. It was the last time she was seen alive.
- She was 19 years old when she went missing on May 25, 1996. Her disappearance resulted in state legislation, including the Kristin Smart Campus Security Act, which 36th California governor Pete Wilson signed into effect on August 19, 1998 and took effect on January 1, 1999.
- On May 25, 2002, she was declared legally dead. Her remains have yet to be found.
Categories: biographical data, Europe, Germany, LISTS, North America, United States
2 replies »