The title was passed to Gray by Miss Universe Philippines 2017 Rachel Peters. On November 26, 2017 at The AXIS at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas, Nevada, Peters finished in the top 10 at Miss Universe 2017, which was won by Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters of South Africa.
Gray was born in Cairns, Queensland, Australia on January 6, 1994 to an Australian father and a Filipino mother. The Filipino-Australian beauty queen is into music and martial arts.
As a musician, Gray loves singing and dancing and she has a Masters Certificate in Music Theory from the Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts. As a martial artist, she has a black belt in taekwondo and a Certificate in Outdoor Recreation.
Aside from winning the Miss Universe Philippines 2018 title, Gray also won most of the several awards. She won Jag Denim Queen, Miss Ever Bilena, Best in Swimsuit, Best in Long Gown and Pitoy Moreno Best National Costume.
If Gray wins the Miss Universe 2018 title, she will be the fourth Filipino to wear the crown. The first one was Gloria Diaz in 1969 followed by Margarita Moran in 1973.
The most recent Miss Universe titleholder from the Philippines is Pia Wurtzbach, who co-hosted the Bb. Pilipinas 2018 coronation night with Richard Gutierrez. Since 2010, the Philippines has been consistently placing in Miss Universe.
Miss Universe 2018 will not be the first international beauty pageant for Gray. In 2016, Gray was crowned Miss World Philippines 2016 and subsequently finished in the top 5 at Miss World 2016.
Here is the complete list of Bb. Pilipinas 2018 winners:
- Bb. Pilipinas 2018 second runner-up: Samantha Mae Bernardo
- Bb. Pilipinas 2018 first runner-up: Vickie Marie Rushton
- Binibining Pilipinas-Globe 2018: Michele Gumabao
- Binibining Pilipinas-Intercontinental 2018: Karen Gallman
- Binibining Pilipinas-Grand International 2018: Eva Psychee Patalinjug
- Binibining Pilipinas-Supranational 2018: Jehza Huelar
- Binibining Pilipinas-International 2018: Maria Ahtisa Manalo
- Miss Universe Philippines 2018: Catriona Gray