Festival de Cannes president Pierre Lescure and general delegate Thierry Frémaux presented the official selection of the 71st Festival de Cannes on April 12, 2018. The festival will run from May 8-19, 2018.
Led by Bertrand Bonello, the Cinéfondation and Short Films Jury will decide on the best films both from the Short Films Competition and the Cinéfondation. For the Cinéfondation section, there are 17 films selected from among the 2,426 submitted by film schools all over the world.
Out of the 17 films in the Cinéfondation section, 14 are live-action films while three are animated films. Also, 14 countries on four continents will be represented and 12 of the 22 directors selected for this program are women.
The jury will hand over the three Cinéfondation prizes at a ceremony preceding the screening of the awarded films on Thursday 17th May, in the Buñuel Theatre in Cannes. Here are the 17 Cinéfondation entries:
- “Dolfin Megumi” (Rubber Dolphin) by Ori Aharon of Steve Tisch School of Film and Television, Tel Aviv University in Israel
- “End of Season” by Zhannat Alshanova of The London Film School in the United Kingdom
- “Sailor’s Delight” by Louise Aubertin, Eloise Girard, Marine Menervol, Jonas Ritter, Loucas Rongeart and Amandine Thomoux of ESMA in France
- “Inanimate” by Lucia Bulgheroni of NFTS in the United Kingdom
- “El Verano del Leon Electrico” (The Summer of the Electric Lion) by Diego Cespedes of Universidad de Chile in Chile
- “Palm Trees and Power Lines” by Jamie Dack of NYU Tisch School of the Arts in the United States
- “Dong Wu Xiong Meng” (The Storms in Our Blood) by Di Shen of Shanghai Theater Academy in China
- “Fragment de Drame” (A Piece of Tragedy) of Laura Garcia of La Femis in France
- “Cinco Minutos Afuera” (Five Minutes Outside) by Constanza Gatti of Universidad del Cine in Argentina
- “Los Tiempos de Hector” (Hector’s Nightfall) by Ariel Gutierrez of CCC in Mexico
- “Dots” by Eryk Lenartowicz of AFTRS in Australia
- “Inny” (The Other) by Marta Magnuska of PWSFTviT in Pland
- “Albastru Si Rosu, In Proportii Egale” (Equally Red and Blue) by Georgiana Moldoveanu of UNATC I.L. Caragiale in Romania
- ‘Cosi in Terra” (As it is on Earth) Pier Lorenzo Pisano of Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia in Italy
- “Kalendar” (Calendar) by Igor Poplauhin of Moscow School of New Cinema in Russia
- “Mesle Bache Adam” (Like a Good Kid) by Arian Vazirdaftari of Tehran University of Dramatic Arts in Iran
- “I am My Own Mother” by Andew Zox of San Francisco State University in the United States
Watch the announcement of the official entries to the 71stFestival de Cannes here: