Prince Abdul Mateen was born in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei to Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei and Puan Mariam binti Abdul Aziz. The prince is the 10th among the sultan’s 12 children.
An animal lover, Mateen owns white tiger cubs and ocelots and loves going to the beach with them. Here are 13 interesting facts about him:
- His complete Malay name is Duli Yang Teramat Mulia Paduka Seri Pengiran Muda Abdul Mateen.
- His father is pure Bruneian while his mother is half Bruneian, a quarter Japanese and a quarter English.
- His parents divorced in 2003.
- Completing a 44-week commissioning course at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in Sandhurst, Berkshire, England, United Kingdom, he graduated in April 2011 as a Second Lieutenant and was promoted to the rank of acting captain in the Brunei armed forces in September 2016.
- In 2015, he talked about terrorism during the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Malta.
- He earned his bachelor’s degree in international politics from King’s College London in July 2014 and his master’s degree in international diplomacy from the School of Oriental and African Studies of the University of London in July 2016.
- In March 2018, he was awarded the Royal Air Force (RAF) Badge, which qualified him as a helicopter pilot, in Defence Helicopter Flying School at the RAF station in Shawbury, Shropshire, West Midlands, England.
- He is a certified Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) diver.
- He used to play for the Bruneian football team AM Gunners.
- Aside from polo, horseback riding, scuba diving and football, he also enjoys badminton, boxing, bungee jumping, golfing, mixed martial arts, Muay Thai, rowing, skiing, skydiving, snorkeling and swimming.
- He is a big fan of David Beckham and Manchester United.
- He plays the guitar.
- He was 28 years old when he represented Brunei in polo at the Southeast Asian Games 2019, the 30th edition of the biennial regional multi-sport event