The Philippines’ Land Transportation Office recently issued a show cause order against a doctor who was caught in two viral road rage videos verbally abusing two different motorists at two different times. The doctor has been identified as Tomas Joaquin Carunungan Mendez.
On December 2, 2019, the LTO issued an order directing Mendez to appear at the Intelligence and Investigation Division of its main office in Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines on December 5, 2019 at 2 p.m. to explain why his driver’s license should neither be suspended nor revoked under the Land Transportation and Traffic Code or Republic Act 4136. Meanwhile, here are 13 interesting facts about the viral road rage doctor:
- Since 2018, he has been working as an otolaryngologist, a doctor specialized in treating issues in the ears, nose or throat (ENT) as well as related areas in the head and neck.
- He works at the Diliman Doctors Hospital in Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines and his office is at Room 703.
- He can be contacted through the digital self scheduling web application UDERdoc.
- He graduated from St. Luke’s College of Medicine – William H. Quasha Memorial in Quezon City.
- He is a Philippine Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery diplomate.
- He is a former ENT resident trainee at the St. Luke’s Medical Center in Quezon City but was never part of the hospital’s roster of physicians.
- He has what it takes to become an opera singer.
- His victim in his first documented road rage incident was Crispulo Eusebio.
- His victims in his second documented road rage incident were husband and wife Santiago Paredes, 49, and Merly Paredes, 46.
- His road rage incidents were discussed by Raffy Tulfo on “Wanted Sa Radyo” when Eusebio, Santiago and Merly shared their experiences with the doctor.
- He has a research on double ectopic thyroid gland in a 10-year-old Filipino boy with Cecilia Gretchen Navarro Locsin, which was published in 2018 on the Philippine Journal of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Volume 33 Number 1.
- He is one of the doctors in Healthway Medical, a network of mall-based clinics in the Philippines.
- He is available at Greenbelt 5 in Makati City, Metro Manila from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. every Sunday, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. every Tuesday and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. every Thursday.