Human rights activist Francis Baraan IV, also known as Frank Baraan, was born on December 5, 1982 in Dagupan City, Pangasinan, Philippines. He is the first among the three children of the Philippines’ former Justice Undersecretary Francisco Baraan III and Felicidad Baraan.
Frank is an alumnus of the University of Asia and the Pacific and Lyceum-Northwestern University, where he obtained his bachelor’s degrees in Liberal Arts and AB English, respectively. Here are 13 more interesting facts about the Filipino human rights activist:
1. His full legal birth name is Francis Martin Beltran.
2. He attended the Manila branch of the University of Western Australia for his MBA but after one semester, he had to drop out to manage his family’s real estate development business in Pangasinan.
3. As a hotelier, he is the General Manager of Sirom Beach House, an upscale beachfront resort at the Tambobong White Beach in Dasol, Pangasinan. His family owns the property.
4. He is a political blogger. He maintains a blog through his Facebook page and on WordPress.
5. He is a social media personality with more than 100,000 followers across social media. He is most popular as a Twitter celebrity and political influencer.
6. His socio-political tweets always populate trending boards and are often quoted by news sites. Because of his tweets, he was blocked on Twitter by United States president Donald Trump.
7. He is a prominent critic of Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte.
8. In 2012, he sponsored the “I Am Not Immoral” photo-video project in support of the Filipino LGBT community. The guest of honor was then Congresswoman and now Senator Risa Hontiveros.
9. He loves photography, interior design, travel and architecture.
10. A bibliophile, he is into literary fiction. His main Instagram account is dedicated to books.
11. He is a mental health and climate advocate.
12. He loves dogs, especially shih tzus. He has 6 of them.
13. One of his best friends is Filipina-British recording artist, model and “Pinoy Big Brother” alum Margo Midwinter.