Dubbed the Umbrella Man, a man helped to incite a riot during the Black Lives Matter protests following the fatal arrest of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States on May 25, 2020. Viral videos showed the unidentified man breaking glass of an Auto Zone store in Minneapolis on May 27, 2020.
The Umbrella Man spray painted the words “free s–t for everyone zone” on the AutoZone doors. After he smashed in the windows, looting started and the store was set on fire a little later.
Authorities have already identified a man suspected to be the Umbrella Man. However, he has yet to be charged.
Minneapolis Police Department spokesman John Elder told CNN that the case “remains an open and active investigation.” Here are 13 things they know about the Umbrella Man:
- He is 32 years old.
- He is 6’2″.
- He is white.
- When he incited riot in Minneapolis on May 27, 2020, he was dressed all in black and was wearing a black gas mask while carrying an umbrella.
- He did not identify himself when peaceful protesters confronted him and questioned what he was doing while he was vandalizing the Auto Zone store.
- He was confronted and followed by an African American man named Elijah “EJ” Easley.
- WCCO photojournalist Dymanh Chhoun claimed to have encountered him during the protest. He said, “I think he is the only one who said something bad to me, 99.9 percent or 100 percent. No one said anything to me except for him. He was the only one.”
- His goal was to “sow discord and racial unrest by breaking out the windows and writing what he did on the double red doors,” a tipster told Arson investigator Erika Christensen.
- He is a member of the biker gang Hell’s Angels.
- He is an associate of the Aryan Cowboys, a group out of Minnesota and Kentucky, USA listed by the Anti-Defamation League as a white supremacist prison and street gang.
- On June 27, 2020, he was present during an incident in Stillwater, Minnesota, in which Sophia Rashid, a Muslim woman wearing a headscarf, was racially harassed by biker gang members wearing Aryan Cowboys vests. He was photographed with the group.
- He has a record of criminal convictions for brawling, assault, disorderly conduct, terroristic threats, fleeing police and domestic abuse.
- He has a Sprint Spectrum, L.P number, which is 763‐238‐4648.
(This is a developing story. Updates will be added as soon as they are available.)