Mitchell Wesley Carlson is a white man from Minnesota, United States. He is allegedly the Umbrella Man, the man caught on video breaking glass at an Auto Zone store on East Lake Street in Minneapolis, Minnesota on May 27, 2020 amid one of the Black Lives Matter protests following George Floyd‘s death.
Using white spray paint, the man wrote the words “free s–t for everyone zone” on double red doors on the front of the AutoZone store. He used a sledgehammer to break all of the store’s front windows.
Soon after, looting started. A little later, the store was set on fire.
While carrying a black umbrella, the Umbrella Man was wearing a black hood, a black jacket, black pants, black shoes, black gloves and a black gas mask. His goal was to “sow discord and racial unrest by breaking out the windows and writing what he did on the double red doors,” a tipster told Arson investigator Erika Christensen.
When peaceful protesters confronted the Umbrella Man and questioned what he was doing, he did not identify himself. He was seen being confronted and followed by an African-American man named Elijah “EJ” Easley.
“I think he is the only one who said something bad to me, 99.9 percent or 100 percent,” said WCCO photojournalist Dymanh Chhoun, who claimed to have encountered the Umbrella Man during the protest. “No one said anything to me except for him. He was the only one.”
Carlson has a record of criminal convictions for brawling, assault, terroristic threats and domestic abuse. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He is Douglas Wesley Carlson and Dawn Lee Wilson‘s son and the brother of Vanessa Lee Carlson, who enrolled in the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA in 2018. His paternal grandparents are Earle Wesley Carlson and Betty Lou Kamstra.
- He lives in Ramsey, Minnesota. He has lived in other parts of Minnesota including Anoka and Bethel.
- He previously lived in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.
- He is approximately 6’2″ tall.
- He is a member of the biker gang Hell’s Angels.
- He is an associate of the Aryan Cowboys Brotherhood, a group based in Minnesota and Kentucky, USA listed by the Anti-Defamation League as a white supremacist prison and street gang.
- He is a fan of Pantera, a heavy metal band from Arlington, Texas, USA.
- In 2006, he graduated from Champlin Park Senior High School in Champlin, Minnesota.
- On May 16, 2016, he was charged with second degree assault involving a dangerous weapon and a fifth degree assault by inflicting or attempting bodily harm.
- On August 25, 2019, he was booked into Anoka County Jail in Anoka, Minnesota and was charged with terroristic threats.
- In February 2020, he was charged with making terroristic threats and domestic abuse by strangulation. The abuse charges were dismissed although he was convicted and sentenced on a misdemeanor level for the threats, the abuse charges were dismissed. In the same month, he was convicted of domestic abuse in a separate case.
- He was 32 years old when he was linked to the Umbrella Man, the man caught on video breaking glass at an Auto Zone store in Minneapolis on May 27, 2020.
- On June 27, 2020, he was involved in an incident in Stillwater, Minnesota, in which Sophia Rashid, a Muslim woman wearing a headscarf, was racially harassed by biker gang members wearing Aryan Cowboys vests.