Terri Thomas is an African American woman from Hackensack, New Jersey, United States. When she went to a Staples store on Hackensack Avenue in Hackensack on July 29, 2020, she encountered Margot Kagan.
Born in 1964, Kagan is from Teaneck, New Jersey. She just had liver transplant surgery before her encounter with Thomas.
Inside the Staples store, Kagan was using the copy machine when Thomas approached to use a nearby machine with her face mask pulled below her mouth. The older woman asked the younger woman to pull her face mask over her mouth and nose due to the new coronavirus (COVID-19) concerns.
After a brief exchange of words, Thomas was so infuriated she grabbed Kagan’s cane and tossed the latter to the ground before leaving the store. Because of this, Kagan had a fractured tibia, which required a steel plate to be put in.
“Detectives Demetrius Carroll, Ioannis Papanikolaou, and James Han, in particular, all did a fantastic job,” Patch quoted Hackensack detective captain Darrin DeWitt as saying. “I also thank the Hackensack Staples store and the Staples corporate office for their cooperation, which was crucial in solving the case. I must add Staples’ employees immediately called 911 and tended to the victim within seconds of the assault. Unfortunately, the video clip that was released ends just prior to them helping her.”
Kagan recovered from her injuries at the Hackensack University Medical Center. Here are 13 things about her attacker:
- She was born on March 5, 1995.
- She is 5’5″.
- She weighs 160 lbs.
- She is an atheist.
- She is divorced.
- She has five children.
- She lives on 164 Summit Avenue in Hackensack.
- She also previously lived on West Fairmount Ave in State College, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Among her family and relatives are Dana L. Thomas, Davon Von Thomas, Terrence J. Thomas, Chantel D. Thomas and Ronee J. Thomas.
- She is a registered voter affiliated with the Democratic Party.
- After attacking Kagan, she was charged with second-degree aggravated assault.
- She was arrested on August 4, 2020. She was released on a summons pending a court appearance at 8:30 a.m. on August 24, 2020 in Central Judicial Municipal Court in Hackensack.
- Her phone number is (917) 684-4223.