Erica Peggy Kious is the owner of eSalon SF, which is located in Cow Hollow, San Francisco, California, United States. The hair and tanning salon made headlines when 52nd speaker of the U.S. house of representatives Nancy Pelosi had her hair styled there on August 31, 2020.
Pelosi’s regular stylist, who typically goes to her house to do her hair, used to work at eSalon SF. The stylist was not available that day so the Italian-American Democrat’s staff was referred to the salon’s lead stylist Jonathan DeNardo.
Known for strongly campaigning for the use of face mask amid the pandemic, Pelosi was caught on tape walking through eSalon SF with wet hair and without a mask covering her mouth or nose. The congresswoman from California was being followed by DeNardo, who was wearing a black face mask.
Amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, local ordinances kept salons closed in San Francisco. Salons in the city had been closed since March 2020 and were allowed to reopen on September 1, 2020 for outdoor hairstyling services only.
“This business offered for the speaker to come in on Monday and told her they were allowed by the city to have one customer at a time in the business,” Pelosi’s deputy chief of staff Drew Hammill said of eSalon in a statement obtained by CNN. “The speaker complied with the rules as presented to her by this establishment.”
Kious told Fox News that it was “a slap in the face” that Pelosi went to eSalon SF feeling “she can just go and get her stuff done while no one else can go in.” Here are 13 more facts about the salon owner:
- She was born on September 17, 1975.
- She earned her associate’s degree from Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, California.
- She studied cosmetology at Lyles College of Beauty in Fresno.
- She established eSalon SF in January 2009.
- On October 21, 2013, she and Christina M. Boelen faced each other in a money case filed by the latter in a small claims court in San Francisco. The judge asked the plaintiff to pay her $1,040 principal and $50 costs for a total judgment of $1,090.
- In 2019, she donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
- Originally from Fresno, California, she is based in San Francisco. Aside from Fresno and San Francisco, she has lived in other areas of California including Corte Madera, San Rafael, Belvedere Tiburon, Clovis and Costa Mesa. She also previously lived in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- She owns two more salons in San Francisco aside from the one located in Cow Hollow.
- She owns a condominium in Pacific Heights, San Francisco.
- She has a doodle named Snickers.
- She and Bill Tookooian have two daughters.
- Among her family and relatives are Pauline K. Kious, Brad E. Kious, Carol D. Kious, Jeffrey Arthur Kious and Kerry L Kious.
- She is a registered Republican.