Anthony Jefferson is from the Bronx in New York City, New York, United States. He made headlines after a surveillance video showed how he saved his children when they were caught in the middle of an exchange of gunshots from three gunmen and a target in On the Road Automotive Group, a car dealership at 4077 Boston Road in Eastchester, Bronx.
After carjacking a green Honda Civic with Georgia plates at the scene, the three gunmen were last seen speeding north on Provost Ave. in the Bronx while their target ran off, according to the New York Police Department. Here are 13 things about Jefferson:
- He was born in 1981.
- He is married to Danica Jefferson. They have three children.
- He lives with his wife and their children in the Williamsbridge section of the Bronx.
- His first child was born in 2014.
- His second child was born in 2015.
- His third child was born in 2018.
- On September 21, 2020, he went to On the Road Automotive Group with his three children to shop for a car to surprise his wife for her upcoming birthday. At around 7:20 p.m., he and his children were sitting on a blue couch in the dealership’s waiting area when two hooded men dressed in black fired multiple shots at a man in a white shirt and tan pants with an arm in a sling. The target, who also returned fire, was just a few feet from him. A third gunman from outside also fired at the same target through an open glass door. While shielding his children from the gunshots, he was shot in his right thigh. None of his children were physically injured.
- He was rushed to Jacobi Medical Center in New York City with a nonlife-threatening wound.
- After being discharged from the hospital, he went to his aunt’s house where he is recovering.
- He is unable to walk and has to have surgery to remove the bullet still in his leg.
- Because of the injuries he sustained from the shootout, he lost his job as a head painter and as a construction worker in New York City, his wife told TMZ without naming the companies.
- “He’s in a lot of pain so he took something and he’s relaxing,” his wife told the New York Daily News. Their neighbor named Jeron, born in 1982, told the publication that he is an easygoing and cheerful man who is always laughing and always walking around with his children and they go to the laundromat together.
- On September 24, 2020, his friend Serena Wingate set up a GoFundMe page for him. It received almost $200,000 in two days.
(This is a developing story. More details will be added soon.)