Henry “Enrique” Tarrio is an activist, businessman and organizer for public political events. He owns several small businesses in the security and surveillance industry.
Tarrio is known for his role as one of the leaders of the groups Proud Boys and Latinos for Trump. Here are 13 more facts about him:
- He was born in 1984 in Miami, Florida, United States to Cuban-American parents.
- He was raised in Little Havana in Miami. He moved to Miami-Dade County, Florida.
- In 1997, he attended a protest for Cuban citizen Elian Gonzalez in Miami. It was the first historical event he participated in.
- In 1999, he worked as a helper to a plumber. It was his first job.
- From February 2003 to January 2006, he worked for NEXTEL as a district manager.
- In January 2006, he became the chief executive officer of Spie Surveillance and Automation Technologies.
- He has been involved in political activism since 2005. He attended the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, USA from August 11-12, 2017.
- From 2007 to 2009, he studied accounting finance at Miami Dade College in Miami. He also attended the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida, where he studied business administration, management and operations.
- In August 2018, he was one of the Proud Boys members who were suspended from Twitter for violating the microblogging site’s policies on violent extremist groups. He created a new account under the new name @HonoredChair. Under the new name @HonoredChair, he tweeted on March 10, 2019 that he would name an illegal immigrant and report him or her to Immigration and Customs Enforcement if any Proud Boys member’s personal information leaked online. Twitter suspended his account on March 12, 2019. He told the Miami New Times that the site explained to him via an email that he had been removed for evading suspension.
- On November 21, 2018, he became the chairman of Proud Boys. He replaced Gavin McInnes, who founded the group in 2016.
- In 2019, he announced he his intention to run for election to the U.S. house of representatives to represent Florida’s 27th Congressional District. From 2019 to 2020, he received a total of $1,951 from individual contributions to his campaign namely Benjamin Moseley, George Colella, James Freeman, John Boyle, Maria Gonzales, Patricia Sermonte and Rene Vicente Rivero, according to Federal Election Commission. He withdrew before the Republican primary on August 18, 2020.
- On September 30, 2020, he took to Twitter to react to Donald Trump‘s statement “Proud Boys, stand back and stand by” during the presidential debate between him and Joe Biden. He tweeted, “Him telling the ProudBoys to stand back and standby is what we have ALWAYS done. I’m am extremely PROUD of my Presidents performance tonight.” Hours later, his Twitter account was suspended.
- As the state director in Florida for Latinos for Trump, the told CNN on October 1, 2020 that there are two Latinos for Trump movements. One is run by the campaign while the other is a grassroots movement started in 2016, according to him.