William Grant “Bill” Null is a white man from Michigan, United States. He was involved in the thwarted plot to kidnap 49th Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer while the U.S. is battling against the new coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Null and his twin brother Michael John Null are members of the militia group called Wolverine Watchmen. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He and Michael John were born in 1982.
- He stands 6’2″ and weighs 280 lbs.
- He is a resident of Shelbyville, Barry County, Michigan while Michael John lives in Plainwell, Michigan. They both previously lived in Delton, Michigan.
- His Shelbyville neighbor Ray Snyder told WWMT, “I really figured he was a nice guy.”
- As a member of the Michigan Liberty Militia, he attended a rally in Grand Rapids, Michigan on May 18, 2020 to protest Whitmer’s stay-at-home order. Barry County sheriff Dar Leaf, who also attended the rally, told WWMT, “I’ve seen him at different rallies. We saw him at a rally in front of the courthouse and he introduced his family to me one time. That’s about it. I don’t remember having lunch with him or anything like that.”
- On April 30, 2020, he and Michael John were among those inside the Michigan State Capitol in Lansing, Michigan for a rally against Whitmer. The twins were photographed standing in a gallery above the Michigan Senate Chamber, according to Bridge Michigan. On the same day, Michigan senator Dayna Polehanki took to Twitter to share a photo of the twins during the event.
- On June 18, 2020, he was seated next to Pastor Phil Smith on the Michigan State Capitol steps while working a security detail for a rally called “American Patriot: A Well-Regulated Militia,” the Lansing State Journal reported. Sporting a ponytail while carrying two semi-automatic rifles, a pistol and a hunting knife, he was there with Michael John under the banner of Michigan Liberty Militia. Whitmer was the primary target of the rally attended by several hundred heavily armed citizens including supporters of Donald Trump, according to ABC News.
- On June 27, 2020, he was at Allendale Community Park in Allendale Township where Black Lives Matter protesters called for the removal of a Civil War statue in Ottawa County that features a young slave child sitting holding a slab of stone that reads “Freedom To Slaves, Jan. 5, 1863.” Armed with a pistol, he defended the statue and was seen standing with Michigan Liberty Militia member Phil Robinson. In an interview with MLive during the event, he described the Black Lives Matter protesters as “brainwashed little kids” who are “getting their education from the ‘Mein Kampf’ book.” He told the publication, “Everyone has a right to their opinion. That’s why we’re constitutionalists but as soon as you become violent, this violence is getting out of hand.”
- He and Michael John acted as lookouts for Adam Fox and other conspirators during a nighttime physical surveillance operation of Whitmer’s vacation home near Elk Rapids, Antrim County, Michigan on September 12, 2020.
- On October 7, 2020, Michigan State Police officers and Federal Bureau of Investigations agents raided his home on the 1200 block of 9 Mile Road in Barry County.
- On October 8, 2020, he and Michael John were arraigned in Jackson County District Court in Jackson, Michigan with cash bond set at $250,000 each, PennLive reported. He is represented by Damian Nunzio.
- He and Michael John are scheduled for a probable cause conference at 1 p.m. on October 14, 2020 and preliminary hearing at 1:30 p.m. on October 28, 2020. They are each charged with one count of providing material support for terrorist acts and carrying or possessing a firearm during the commission of a felony.
- The state of Michigan formally charged him, Michael John and their fellow Wolverine Watchmen members Paul Bellar, Shawn Fix, Eric Molitor, Pete Musico and Joseph Morrison in Antrim County, Michigan. They were accused of attempting to find the home addresses of law enforcement officers to target them, making threats of violence intended to instigate a civil war and engaging in planning and training to attack the Michigan State Capitol and kidnap government officials including Whitmer.
(This is a developing story. Updates are added as soon as they are available.)