Makhmud “Mach” Muradov is a biracial, multilingual mixed martial artist with dual citizenship. He made his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut in 2019, making him the first ever Uzbek MMA fighter to compete in the UFC.
Muradov is of Tajik and Uzbek descent and is fluent in Uzbek, Russian, Czech, Polish and English. He officially became a citizen of Czech Republic in 2018 and a citizen of Uzbekistan in 2019.
The Tajik-Uzbek-Czech athlete has been competing professionally as an MMA fighter since 2012. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He was born in Dushanbe, Tajikistan on February 8, 1990 to a Tajik father and an Uzbek mother. He has one brother.
- In 1993, he and his family moved to Uzbekistan. They fled Tajikistan because of a civil war.
- In 2002, he started his training in boxing. He eventually transitioned to kickboxing and became the Junior Kickboxing Champion under the K1 rules in Uzbekistan.
- In 2005, he and his brother started working as a construction worker after their father became disabled due to a car accident.
- In 2008, he started his combat sambo career. In the same year, he and his brother moved from Uzbekistan to Russia. Working as a security guard in a casino, he lived in Tomsk, Siberia with his brother and other acquaintances.
- In 2011, he moved to Czech Republic. Returning from Russia to Uzbekistan, he accepted an offer to go to Prague, Czech Republic from a friend he worked with at a construction site in Russia. He worked as a waiter and a cleaner and did several other jobs in Prague, where he also started his training in Muay Thai and mixed martial arts under the tutelage of Petr Kníže.
- When he made his professional MMA bout at “K1EL Round 3” at the Infiniti Arena Kosice in Slovakia on April 29, 2012, he knocked out Patrik Jevicky of Slovakia.
- On March 19, 2015, he knocked out Andreas “Zega” Birgels of Germany at “Caveam Bitva Roku 2015” at the Arena Sparta Podvinny Mlyn in Prague. When he fought at World Association of Kickboxing Organizations (WAKO) K1 European Cup 2015 tournament in September 2015, he lost via unanimous decision against Bartosz Dołbień of Poland in the first match.
- From 2016 to 2019, he won eight out of nine fights in X Fight nights.
- In March 2017, he attended an event at Lávka Club in Prague. He was invited by Czech bobsledder Miloš Veselý. In the event, he met Floyd “Pretty Boy” Mayweather Jr.
- In February 2018, he became the first MMA fighter signed by Mayweather’s The Money Team. In December 2018, he started dating Monika Bagárová, a Czech singer of Romani descent.
- On August 11, 2019, Mayweather took to Instagram to share a photo of them with a caption declaring him as the best MMA fighter in the world. He got a lot of attention and even received offers from Bellator MMA and ONE Championship, which he both declined. He defeated Alessio “Manzo” Di Chirico of Italy via unanimous decision at “UFC Fight Night 160” on September 28, 2019 at the Royal Arena in Copenhagen, Denmark and knocked out Trevor “Hot Sauce” Smith of the United States at “UFC on ESPN 7” on December 7, 2019 at the Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C., USA.
- His first child with Bagárová, a daughter named Rumia Muradov, was born on May 27, 2020. He was supposed to fight Kevin “Trailblazer” Holland of the U.S. at “UFC Fight Night 181” at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA on October 31, 2020 but he had to pull out from the card because he tested positive for the new coronavirus (COVID-19).