Dr. Van Tran Hewitt is the wife of Charles “Chuck” Edward Hewitt. The latter is the Virginia Department of State Police officer in the viral video of a traffic stop taken on April 20, 2019 in Fairfax County, Virginia, United States involving African-American man Derrick T. Thompson.
Both Van and Chuck are alumni of Emory and Henry College in Emory, Virginia. Here are 13 more facts about her:
- She is of Vietnamese descent.
- She holds a doctorate degree in pharmacy (PharmD) and a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree.
- She is a board certified pediatric pharmacy specialist (BCPPS) and a board certified pharmacotherapy specialist (BCPS).
- She is a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) clinical specialist.
- She is part of the Inova Fairfax Medical Campus Pharmacy Residency Faculty in Falls Church, Virginia.
- She met Charles in Emory and Henry College. They graduated there in 2005. She was cum laude.
- She had to keep herself extra busy when her husband was deployed to Iraq after their graduation from Emory and Henry College. Her husband served in the U.S. Army from 2005 to 2008.
- What she most appreciates while an Emory and Henry College student was the community service she performed. She volunteered for Habitat for Humanity and for the adventure center of River’s Way.
- She was a Bonner Scholar for three years while attending Emory and Henry College. She received the outstanding senior scholarship at graduation.
- She and Charles have one daughter together.
- In 2011, she received her doctorate in pharmacy from the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Pharmacy in Richmond, Virginia.
- She had her postgraduate year one (PGY1) residency at Bons Secours Richmond Health Systems in Richmond.
- She had her postgraduate year two (PGY2) residency at Children’s National Health Systems in Washington, D.C., USA.