Miya Taylor Ponsetto is from California, United States. She was dubbed the SoHo Karen after being caught on camera attacking African-American jazz musician Keyon Harrold, then 40, and his son Keyon Harrold Jr., then 14, at the Arlo SoHo Boutique Hotel on 231 Hudson Street in New York City, New York, USA on December 26, 2020.
Ponsetto falsely accused the younger Harrold of stealing her iPhone. Most of her favorite items on her Etsy profile are iPhone cases.
On January 1, 2021, a male New York Post photographer spotted Ponsetto at a McDonald’s parking lot in Fillmore, California. She told him, “I’m actually 22 so I don’t know what the problem is here and I’m also Puerto Rican so thank you.”
The Californian woman is Christian and an aspiring actress. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She claimed to be of Italian, Puerto Rican, Greek and Vietnamese descent.
- She grew up in Simi Valley, California. She has also lived in other areas of California including Sun Valley and Piru.
- In 2016, she graduated from Simi Valley High School where she was a member of the cheerleading squad.
- In August 2019, she lived with a man in an apartment in Sun Valley. The property company that owns the apartment sued them in Los Angeles Superior Court because they failed to pay $1,250 in rent.
- On February 28, 2020, she and her mother Nicole Claudine Ponsetto appeared intoxicated and refused to leave The Peninsula Beverly Hills, a 5-star hotel on South Santa Monica Boulevard in Beverly Hills, California. When Beverly Hills Police Department officers arrived, her mother pushed and kicked one of the officers. She and her mother were both arrested.
- On May 27, 2020, the Los Angeles County District Attorney charged her and her mother with being intoxicated in public. Her mother was also charged with battery on a police officer. They were expected to appear in court on January 28, 2021.
- On May 28, 2020, she was arrested by the West Los Angeles California Highway Patrol for driving with a suspended license and failure to obey traffic lane near Calabasas, California. She was charged with two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol, one count of driving on a suspended license and one count of unlawful use of a driver’s license.
- On September 28, 2020, she pleaded no contest to her DUI charge and was sentenced to a three-year probation and three days in jail or 30 hours of community service in lieu of payment of $390 in fines.
- She was 22 years old when she encountered Keyon and Keyon Jr. on December 26, 2020.
- She was ordered to enroll in a nine-month alcohol and drug education and counseling program and appeared in court for a sentencing hearing on January 14, 2021.
- On January 7, 2021, “CBS This Morning” host Gayle King interviewed her. Hours after the interview, Ventura County Sheriff’s Department deputies arrested her in California after a brief car chase.
- On January 8, 2021, she appeared in court via video in Ventura County, California where she was jailed. She agreed to be transported back to New York to face charges.
- On June 30, 2021, a New York County grand jury indicted her on two counts of unlawful imprisonment as a hate crime, aggravated harassment and endangering the welfare of a child. Represented by Paul D’Emilia, she pleaded not guilty.
(This is a developing story. More details will be added.)
Before Miya Ponsetto was identified as the SoHo Karen, we conducted a poll on Twitter. Here are the results: