Nyisha Josette Tilus is a beauty queen, motivational speaker and author from the Bahamas. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She was born in the Bahamas to a Haitian father and Bahamian mother.
- She grew up in The Mudd in Abaco, Bahamas.
- She has a younger brother who has Down Syndrome. Mental health awareness is important to her because her grandmother suffered with a mental health disorder but refused to get professional help due to her lack of knowledge.
- She is 5’8″ tall.
- On December 18, 2011, she competed in Miss Abaco 2011 at the Abaco Beach Resort on Great Abaco Island, Abaco and was unplaced.
- In 2013, she relocated to New Providence, Bahamas. In August 2013, she enrolled at the College of The Bahamas, which was later renamed as the University of The Bahamas, making her the first in her family to attend college. She earned her bachelor’s degree in psychology from the university making her the first in her family to receive a bachelor’s degree. After graduating, she participated in the Ministry of National Security’s Citizen Security and Justice Program (CSJP), where she was trained to facilitate community discussions and workshops on gender-based violence.
- On March 9, 2017, she was crowned Miss University of the Bahamas 2017. She competed in Miss World Bahamas 2017 and finished in the Top 5.
- She was Miss Universe Abaco 2019. Representing Abaco, she was runner-up to Miss Universe Bahamas 2019 Tarea Sturrup.
- In March 2021, she became the inaugural Miss Supra Star Search winner.
- She was 28 years old when she was crowned Miss Supra Star Search 2020.
- On April 22, 2021, her inaugural book “Uncaged” was independently published.
- In May 2021, Project Y Bahamas named her one of the Top 48 Millennials.
- As Miss Supra Star Search 2020, she will represent the Bahamas at Miss Supranational 2021 in Nowy Sącz, Małopolska, Poland on August 21, 2021. If she wins, she will be the first Miss Supranational from the Bahamas.