Barel Hadaria Shmueli is a soldier from Be’er Ya’akov, Israel. Here are 10 more things about him:
- He is Yossi Shmueli and Nitza Shmueli‘s son.
- He is Hila Rahimi‘s brother.
- He is an Israeli Border Police staff sergeant.
- In 2016, he started giving his soul to the Israeli army and to the state of Israel, according to his mother.
- In March 2019, he enlisted in the Israeli Border Police, underwent training and completed a course to join the Israel Border Police’s undercover Arab unit and became part of the Israel Border Police Southern District’s unit called the Yamas. As a Yamas sniper in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), Israel Border Police and Israel Police‘s elite undercover counterterrorism unit called mista’arvim, he took part in several operations to stop terror attacks and crime in the southern region of Israel.
- On August 21, 2021, he was dispatched to the Gaza border to assist the Israel Defense Forces during the clashes along the security fence. During major clashes along the border that day, a Gazan rioter shot him in the head at point-blank range. In the evening, his mother was comforted by a call she received from Israel’s opposition leader Benjamin Netanyahu, who was vacationing in the United States.
- On August 22, 2021, police announced that he was in intensive care in life-threatening condition after undergoing an operation at the Soroka University Medical Center in Beersheba, Israel. That day, his father criticized the Israeli government for the error that allowed rioters to get near the fence and open fire on him on August 21, 2021.
- In an interview with 103 FM Radio on August 23, 2021, his mother blamed the Israeli government for his shooting on August 21, 2021 and criticized Israel prime minister Naftali Bennett and IDF chief of staff Aviv Kochavi for not visiting him in the Soroka University Medical Center.
- On August 30, 2021, he died in the Soroka University Medical Center.
- He died at the age of 21.