Elizabeth Bagaya is a Ugandan makeup artist, mental heal advocate and beauty queen. She holds a bachelor’s degree in human resource management.
As a mental health advocate, Bagaya believes that people with mental challenges need care, love, support, the chance to be listened to and, above all, encouragement. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She hails from Kampala, Uganda.
- She was runner-up to Miss Uganda 2019-2020 Oliver Nakakande.
- In March 2021, she visited Butabika National Referral Mental Hospital in Kampala.
- On April 23, 2021, Uganda’s Miss World license holder Kezzi Entertainment officially appointed her as Miss Uganda 2020-2021.
- On April 28, 2021, she took to Instagram to share her thoughts about her mental health advocacy. She said she wants to help end stigma associated with mental illness in Uganda and not perpetuate it.
- On June 12, 2021, she and Strides of Hope Foundation (SOHOPE) chief executive officer Franko Olong discussed mental health in children in her first ever Instagram Live video. On June 14, 2021, she met with Ugandan comedian Patrick Salvado to discuss how mental health affects the celebrities in Uganda. On June 16, 2021, she met Miss Elite Africa 2021 Judith Heard.
- On June 18, 2021, she and Miss Uganda 2008 Dorah Mwima discussed postpartum depression via Instagram Live.
- On June 25, 2021, she and NTV Uganda news anchor Andrew Kyamagero had an Instagram Live discussion on how social media affects mental health. On June 29, 2021, she personally interviewed Ugandan celebrity hair stylist and dresser Zziwa Kennedy Katebalirwe, who shared how he overcame drug and alcohol addiction.
- On July 15, 2021, she was a guest on Allan Creed Rwabi‘s Instagram Live interview about mental health.
- On July 22, 2021, she visited the Mityana District in Uganda where she taught and trained girls how to use, clean and maintain reusable sanitary towels in collaboration with She for She Pads.
- On September 20, 2021, she took to Instagram to announce that she had been appointed as Uganda’s Miss World 2021 representative.
- She was 26 years old when she was crowned Miss World Uganda 2021.
- On December 16, 2021, she will represent Uganda at Miss World 2021 at the José Miguel Agrelot Coliseum in San Juan, Puerto Rico.