Richard Alexander Murdaugh is a resident of California, United States. He is a descendant of a prominent family of lawyers.
Murdaugh’s nickname is Alex. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He was born and raised in Hampton County, South Carolina. (a)
- He has a brother named Randy Murdaugh. (b)
- On August 14, 1993, he and Maggie Murdaugh got married. He is one year older than her. (b)(c)
- In 1999, Maggie gave birth to their son Paul Murdaugh. (b)
- As a lawyer, he represents injured persons in all areas of personal injury law, including trucking cases, products liability and wrongful death. He serves as a part-time prosecutor for the 14th Judicial Circuit, which was ran by his father, grandfather and great-grandfather for almost a century. (a)(b)
- In 1986, he graduated from Hampton High School. (a)
- In 1990, he earned his bachelor’s degree in political science from the University of South Carolina in Columbia, South Carolina. (a)
- In May 1994, he earned his Juris doctorate degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law. In November 1994, he was admitted to the South Carolina Bar. (a)
- The death of Gloria Satterfield, his housekeeper for decades, was never reported to the Hampton County coroner. He told her sons that she tripped over the family dog and died weeks later from her lingering injuries. At her funeral in February 2018, he told her sons he would get insurance settlements for her death and take care of them. He managed to secure more than $4 million from his insurers but he only told the sons about $500,000.
- He was the owner of the 17-foot, Sea Hunt center-console boat that crashed in Beaufort County, South Carolina on February 24, 2019 that led to the death of Mallory Beach, 19, of Hampton County. His son Paul was allegedly one of six intoxicated underaged people on board the boat. (d)
- According to him, he found his wife Maggie and their son Paul fatally shot at their estate in Colleton County, South Carolina on June 7, 2021. On August 6, 2021, the paperwork dropping all charges against Paul related to Beach’s death was filed due to the defendant’s death. (b)(d)
- He was 53 years old when he claimed that he was on his way to Charleston, Charleston County, South Carolina on September 4, 2021 when he had car trouble and when he stopped on Salkehatchie Road in Yemassee, South Carolina, a truck passed him, turned around and came back and someone in the truck shot him in the head. Later, his attorneys Dick Harpootlian and Jim Griffin said he had been struggling with a longtime addiction to opioids and wanted to end his life so he asked someone to shoot him. But the man charged with firing at him said the gun went off as the man tried to prevent him from shooting himself. He recovered in the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, according to his lawyer Jim Griffin. (b)(e)
- After spending six weeks at a drug rehab facility in Orlando, Florida, USA, he was arrested at the facility on October 14, 2021 and charged with stealing insurance settlements meant for Satterfield’s sons. A bond hearing was scheduled for October 15, 2021. (e)
(This is a developing story. More details will be added.)