Jonel Montales Nuezca was the police officer who ended the lives of Sonya Rufino Gregorio and Frank Anthony “Anton” Gregorio. Born in 1968, Sonya gave birth to Anton in 1995.
Nuezca was a Philippine National Police (PNP) senior master sergeant. He was officially assigned at the Parañaque City Crime Laboratory in Parañaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines.
Sonya, Anton and Nuezca were neighbors and residents of Purok 2, Barangay Cabayaoasan, Paniqui, Tarlac, Philippines. Here are 13 more things about Nuezca:
- He was married to Leilanie Aquino Nuezca.
- In 2007, Leilanie gave birth to their daughter Elisha Aquino Nuezca.
- From February 19-28, 2010, he was suspended from his job as a member of the PNP.
- In 2013, he was charged with grave misconduct. The case was dropped and closed.
- In 2014, the Philippines’ National Police Commission (NAPOLCOM) accused him of extortion.
- At about 3:00 p.m. on April 8, 2014, he refused to take a drug test and left the testing area without asking for permission or clearance from the NAPOLCOM inspectors. He was charged with less grave neglect of duty and was given a 31-day suspension.
- In 2016, he was charged with serious neglect of duty for failing to attend a court hearing as a prosecution witness of a drug case. The case was dropped and closed.
- On May 9, 2019, he was charged with homicide. The case was dismissed due to lack of substantial evidence.
- On December 29, 2019, he was charged with homicide again. The case was also dismissed due to lack of substantial evidence.
- While off duty at around 5:10 p.m. on December 20, 2020, he fatally shot Sonya and Anton. His wife and daughter witnessed how he murdered their neighbors. At around 6:19 p.m., he surrendered at the Rosales Municipal Police Station in Rosales, Pangasinan, Philippines where he was picked up. From Rosales, he was transferred to the Paniqui Municipal Police Station where he was charged with double murder.
- On August 26, 2021, the Tarlac Regional Trial Court convicted him for two counts of murder for his fatal shooting of Sonya and Frank, sentenced him to a double life sentence and ordered him to pay 476,280 pesos ($9,523) in damages to the heirs of Sonya and another 476,280 pesos ($9,523) to the heirs of Anton.
- He was 47 years old when he was found guilty of two counts of murder on August 26, 2021.
- At 6:30 p.m. on November 30, 2021, his cellmates at the New Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa, Metro Manila brought him to the jail’s hospital after he collapsed while walking outside his dormitory. He was declared dead at 6:44 p.m. and the cause of death is still unknown, according to Bureau of Corrections spokesperson Gabriel Chaclag.