Maria Frhad Salem is an Assyrian beauty queen and Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) survivor. Here are 10 more things about her:
- She was born in Mosul, Nineveh, Iraq to a Christian Iraqi family. She has two sisters and one brother.
- She lives in Qaraqosh, Nineveh.
- In 2014, she and her family were forced to move from Mosul to Erbil, Kurdistan, Iraq amid ISIS terrorist attacks.
- In 2017, she and her family visited Mosul.
- She is Miss Nineveh Plains 2021.
- On July 29, 2021, she was crowned Miss Iraq 2021 in Baghdad, Iraq, besting 17 other candidates.
- She was 20 years old when she was crowned Miss Iraq 2021.
- While reigning as Miss World Iraq 2021, she was pursuing her bachelor’s degree in computer science.
- On August 5, 2021, she was at the Gefinor Rotana Hotel in Beirut, Lebanon.
- She is the eighth woman to represent Iraq at Miss World. In December 2021, she competed against 96 other candidates at Miss World 2021 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. She was not included in the list of Top 40 quarterfinalists, who competed during the coronation night in San Juan on March 16, 2022.