Alexander Zverev is a German professional tennis player who lives in Monte Carlo, Monaco. He is of Russian descent and his nickname is Sascha.
Zverev speaks German, Russian and English. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He was born in Hamburg, Germany to Russian parents Alexander Mikhailovich Zverev and Irina Zvereva. Both of his parents competed as professional tennis players for the Soviet Union.
- Aside from tennis, he also plays basketball and golf. His older brother Mischa Zverev is also a professional tennis player.
- He is 6’6″ tall.
- In 2000, he started playing tennis. In 2002, he started to play tennis at least half an hour a day.
- In 2011, he played his first junior match at a grade 4 tournament in Poland and entered his first event on the International Tennis Federation (ITF) junior circuit.
- In 2013, he made his professional tennis debut.
- He was a 2018 French Open quarterfinalist.
- He was a 2019 French Open quarterfinalist.
- He was a 2020 Australian Open semifinalist. He was runner-up to 2020 US Open men’s singles champion Dominic Thiem.
- In March 2021, his former girlfriend Brenda Patea gave birth to their daughter named Mayla. In October 2021, it was reported that he was dating German actress Sophia Thomalla.
- Representing Germany, he won gold in men’s singles in tennis at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan on August 1, 2021.
- He was a 2021 Australian Open quarterfinalist, a 2021 French Open semifinalist and a 2021 US Open semifinalist. He finished in the fourth round at the 2021 Wimbledon.
- He finished in the fourth round of 2022 Australian Open. He was 25 years old when he competed at the 2022 French Open.