Chunli Zhao is an Asian-American man from California, United States. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He is a resident of Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County, California.
- He speaks Chinese and limited English.
- Aside from Half Moon Bay, he has lived in other parts of California including Cupertino and San Jose.
- He owned a semiautomatic handgun, which he purchased legally.
- In 2012, he started working at a restaurant in Cupertino, Santa Clara County, California. At the time, he and his coworker Yingjiu Wang shared an apartment on Greendale Way in San Jose while they were both working at a restaurant in San Jose. He quit the job but later wanted to get the job back and threatened to kill Wang if he did not.
- On March 10, 2013, Wang filed a restraining order against him.
- On March 12, 2013, he tried to suffocate Wang using a pillow inside Wang’s room in their apartment in San Jose.
- On March 14, 2013, he confronted Wang inside their apartment in San Jose and told Wang that if he would not have his job back, it would be a bigger problem and he would use a kitchen knife to split Wang’s head.
- A judge ordered him to stay away stay 300 yards away outside of the apartment he and Wang used to share in San Jose and and 3 yards away inside the unit until July 2013.
- In December 2016, he started working at the Mountain Mushroom Farm in Half Moon Bay as a forklift driver. The farm was later renamed California Terra Garden.
- In December 2022, he and his wife went to a Chinese bank near the restaurant where he used to work to send remittances to China.
- Just after 2:00 p.m. on January 23, 2023, he allegedly fatally shot four people and wounded one at the California Terra Garden and fatally shot three more people at Concord Farms, a nearby trucking facility. At 4:40 p.m., a San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office deputy found him in his vehicle in the office’s parking lot in Half Moon Bay and arrested him.
- He was 66 years old when he was arrested on January 23, 2023. He was booked into a jail in Redwood City, San Mateo County and charged with murder, attempted murder and gun enhancements.
(This is a developing story. More details are being added.)