Paul Ruben Flores is a Californian man. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He hails from San Pedro, Los Angeles, California, United States.
- Aside from San Pedro, he has lived in other parts of California including Arroyo Grande, Lawndale, Santa Barbara, Orange, Irvine and San Luis Obispo.
- His parents Ruben R. Flores and Susan P. Flores are resident of Arroyo Grande.
- He was 4 months older than Kristin Smart, a native of Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany.
- In June 1996, he and Smart entered California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly) in San Luis Obispo.
- On May 25, 1996, he and his fellow Cal Poly students Tim Davis and Cheryl Anderson helped Smart walk to her dormitory room safely after Smart was found passed out on a neighbor’s lawn in San Luis Obispo. Smart went missing that day and he was the last person to see her alive. She was declared legally dead on May 25, 2002 and her remains have yet to be found.
- In February 2020, the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office served search warrants at his home in San Pedro.
- In April 2020, the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office served search warrants again at his home in San Pedro.
- At around 9:45 a.m. on February 11, 2021, Los Angeles Police Department officers arrested him Rancho Palos Verdes on suspicion of being a felon in possession of a firearm. At 10:47 p.m., he was released after he posted $35,000 bond.
- On April 13, 2021, San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office detectives arrested him and his father. He was accused of killing Smart while his father was accused of helping him dispose of her body.
- In September 2021, a judge ruled that there was sufficient evidence of guilt for the case to proceed to his murder trial, which was supposed to begin on April 25, 2022 but was delayed. On July 18, 2022, opening arguments began.
- On October 18, 2022, 12 jurors in Salinas, California unanimously convicted him of killing Smart. Represented by Robert Sanger, he was found guilty of first-degree murder. A jury in a separate trial found his father not guilty of charges of being an accessory to murder after the fact.
- He was 46 years old when he was sentenced on March 10, 2023 to life in state prison.
Categories: biographical data, LISTS, North America, United States
Leave a Reply