Rory McIlroy is a professional golfer born to Gerry McIlroy and Rosie McDonald in Holywood, County Down, Northern Ireland. Rory was mentored by several professional golfers including Darren Clarke, Graeme McDowell and Nick Faldo.
Raised Roman Catholic, Rory attended Saint Patrick’s Primary School and Sullivan Upper School, which are both in Holywood. He was introduced to golf by his father, a golfer who played at a scratch handicap level.
In 2004, Rory was a member of the Irish team at the European Boys’ Team Championship and of Europe’s winning the Junior Ryder Cup team against the U.S. in Ohio, USA. In the same year, he signed a letter of intent to play collegiate golf at East Tennessee State University in Johnson City, Tennessee, USA but in 2005, he decided to forgo the golf scholarship.
In 2006, Rory won the European Amateur at Biella Golf Club, near Milan, Italy and in 2007, he made his professional golf debut and signed with the International Sports Management. From 2007 to 2012, he was an ambassador for Jumeirah group.
Rory is 5’9″ tall and his registered weight is 161 pounds. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He tied for 10th at the 2009 US Open, tied for third at the 2009 PGA Championship and tied for third both at The Open Championship 2010 and the 2010 PGA Championship.
- In 2011, he left the International Sports Management and joined Horizon Sports Management, which is based in Dublin, Ireland, made his first visit to Haiti as an ambassador for United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) Ireland. He is the 2011 US Open champion. From 2011 to 2014, he dated Danish tennis player Caroline Wozniacki. They became engaged on December 31, 2013 but they ended their engagement on May 21, 2014.
- In 2012, he was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the New Year Honours for services to sport. He is the 2012 PGA Championship winner.
- In 2013, he signed an endorsement deal with Nike. He tied for eighth at the 2013 PGA Championship.
- He won both the 2014 PGA Championship and The Open Championship 2014. He tied for eighth at the 2014 Masters Tournament.
- In 2015, he started dating former PGA of America employee Erica Stoll. He finished fourth at the 2015 Masters Tournament and tied for ninth at the 2015 US Open.
- He tied for fifth at The Open Championship 2016 and finished 10th at the 2016 Masters Tournament.
- In 2017, he and Stoll got married at Ashford Castle in Cong, County Mayo, Northern Ireland. In the same year, he signed a 10-year $200 million contract extension with Nike for apparel only. He finished fourth at The Open Championship 2017 and tied for seventh at the 2017 Masters Tournament.
- He tied for second at The Open Championship 2018 and tied for fifth at the 2018 Masters Tournament.
- He tied for eighth at the 2019 PGA Championship and tied for ninth at the 2019 US Open.
- In 2020, Stoll gave birth to their daughter Poppy Ilroy. He tied for fifth at the 2020 Masters Tournament and tied for eighth at the 2020 US Open. He tied for seventh at the 2021 US Open.
- He finished second at the 2022 Masters Tournament, tied for fifth at the 2022 U.S. Open, finished third at the 2023 Open Championship and finished eighth at the 2022 PGA Championship.
- He appeared in “Full Swing“, a sports documentary series that premiered on Netflix on February 15, 2023. He was 34 years old when he tied for seventh at the 2023 PGA Championship on May 21, 2023 in Pittsford, Monroe County, New York, USA.
Categories: biographical data, Europe, LISTS, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
1 reply »