Joseph Orgill Sr. was born in Rugeley, Cannock Chase District, Staffordshire, West Midlands, England to Edmund Orgill Sr. and Lucy Willins Orgill. Joseph has three brothers and one sister.
Edmund acquired a controlling interest in Orgill Brothers & Co, which he held until his death. The hardware firm is based in Memphis, Tennessee, United States.
Joseph Sr. once served as the Orgill Brothers & Co. vice president. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He was 8 years older than his wife Adele Kendrick Orgill, who was born in Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee, United States.
- He was the youngest of five siblings. He was 4 years younger than his brother William Orgill and 2 years younger than his older sister Florence Orgill Montgomery.
- In 1847, his father Edmund Orgill Sr. and his uncles also named Joseph Orgill and William Orgill founded Orgill Brothers & Co. Based in Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee, the company sold hardware, cutlery and guns and was incorporated in 1898 with Edmund Sr as the president, Frederick as the vice president, Joseph as the treasurer and William as the secretary.
- In December 1885, his older brother Edmund Orgill Jr. died in Bond, Hickman County, Tennessee at the age of 30.
- In 1898, Adele gave birth to their daughter also named Adele Kendrick Orgill.
- In 1903, his wife gave birth to their son Joseph Orgill Jr.
- In 1905, his father Edmund Sr. died in England at the age of 80.
- In 1906, his wife gave birth to their daughter Florence Orgill.
- On October 31, 1919, his older brother Frederick Orgill died in Memphis at the age of 59.
- On July 12, 1923, his mother Lucy Willins Orgill died in Memphis at the age of 93. She was buried in Elmwood Cemetery in Memphis.
- In 1927, his daughter Florence married Thomas John O’Brien.
- In June 2019, his son Joseph Jr. married Kate Bond Smith Orgill.
- On December 12, 1929, he died in Memphis at the age of 63. He was buried in Forest Hill Cemetery Midtown in Memphis.