Mary Elizabeth “Betsy” Abel Plunkett was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States to John Robertson Abel Sr. and Mary Jane Bunn Abel. Betsy worked as a cashier at the Goldman Theater in Philadelphia where she met the manager John J. Plunkett, who became her husband.
John Robertson and Mary Jane have two more daughters namely Jean Abel Torre and Ruth M. Abel Halvorson. Betsy was 2 years younger than Torre and 6 years younger than Halvorson.
John J. and Betsy have three children together. Here are 10 more things about her:
- In 1949, she graduated from Murrell Dobbins Career and Technical Education High School in Philadelphia.
- In 1950, she gave birth to a daughter, who was immediately put up for adoption.
- In 1952, she dated Augustus J. “Gus” Zarelli. In 1953, she gave birth to their son Joseph Augustus Zarelli, who died in 1957.
- In 1956, she gave birth to Barbara Plunkett.
- In 1960, she gave birth to Robert Plunkett.
- In 1962, she gave birth to Kathleen “Kathi” Plunkett in Philadelphia.
- On July 22, 1974, her father died in Philadelphia at age 73.
- On January 28, 1985, her mother died in Philadelphia at age 78.
- On January 5, 1989, her husband John died at age 62.
- On June 22, 1991, she died in Philadelphia at age 59 after a prolonged illness.