ONE Championship, the largest global sports media property in Asian history, has just launched a league called ONE Super Series, which is exclusive to striking martial arts. The new league made its debut at “ONE: Heroes of Honor” on April 20, 2018 at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines.
According to ONE Championship chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong, ONE Super Series will eventually have its standalone event. But for now, like the “ONE: Heroes of Honor” fight card, the striking bouts of the new league will be mixed with the mixed martial arts bout.
In the third bout of the main card, Dae Hwan Kim of South Korea faced Masakazu Imanari of Japan. They competed in the bantamweight division with Olivier Coste as the referee.
Rekindling the intense rivalry between South Korea and Japan, Kim came out on top against Imanari, winning by unanimous decision. Notably, the former world title challenger from Seoul and the Japanese legend from Tokyo gave the audience the funniest bout of the evening.
Driven to victory against a grappling wizard like Imanari, Kim intelligently avoided putting himself at risk in his opponent’s submission wheelhouse and exerted his best effort to dictate the action from the stand-up. Although Imanari found a way to bring matters to the ground, Kim made sure that he had sturdy top control, with the leverage to rain down quick but solid ground-and-pound.
Here are the official “ONE: Heroes of Honor” results:
- Bantamweight bout: Kevin Belingon defeats Andrew Leone by TKO (Strikes) at 1:27 minutes of round 2
- ONE Super Series Kickboxing catchweight bout (70.0kg): Giorgio Petrosyan defeats Jo Nattawut by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- Lightweight bout: Honorio Banario defeats Adrian Pang by Split Decision (SD) after 3 rounds
- ONE Super Series Muay Thai catchweight bout (67.0kg): Nong-O Gaiyanghadao defeats Fabio Pinca by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- Featherweight bout: Marat Gafurov defeats Emilio Urrutia by Submission (Arm Triangle Choke) at 2:34 minutes of round 1
- Bantamweight bout: Dae Hwan Kim defeats Masakazu Imanari by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- ONE Super Series Muay Thai lightweight bout: Cosmo Alexandre defeats Elliot Compton by Knockout (KO) at 2:41 minutes of round 2
- Catchweight bout (63.0kg): Akihiro Fujisawa defeats Kaji Ebin by Submission (Verbal) at 1:48 minutes of round 1
- ONE Super Series Kickboxing catchweight bout (78.0kg): Regian Eersel defeats Brad Riddell by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- Women’s atomweight bout: Gina Iniong defeats Jenny Huang by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- Strawweight bout: Adrian Mattheis defeats Lan Ming Qiang by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
Watch a video of Kim and Imanari’s bout at “ONE: Heroes of Honor” here:
In case you missed the action log on to www.onefc.com/livestream for the full replay of the fights at only US $9.99.