Hosted by Park Bo Gum, the 2018 Mnet Asian Music Awards Fans’ Choice in Japan took place at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan on December 12, 2018. The first Worldwide Icon of the Year award was given during the ceremony.
Prior to the 2018 MAMA Fans’ Choice in Japan awarding ceremony, the fans cast their votes for the Worldwide Icon of the Year online. Here are the 10 artists who made it to the shortlist:
1. Blackpink, a quarter formed by YG Entertainment, debuted on August 8, 2016. Its members are Kim Ji Soo (김지수), Jennie Kim (제니김), Park Chae Young (박채영), and Lalisa Manoban (ลลิสา มโนบาล), who are professionally known as Jisoo (지수), Jennie (제니), Rosé (로제) and Lisa (리사), respectively.
2. BTS, formed by Big Hit Entertainment, debuted on June 13, 2013. The members are Kim Nam Joon (김남준), Kim Seok Jin (김석진), Min Yoon Gi (민윤기), Jung Ho Seok (정호석), Park Ji Min (박지민), Kim Tae Hyung (김태형) and Jeon Jeong-guk (전정국), who are professionally known as Rap Monster (랩몬스터), Jin (진), Suga (슈가), J-Hope (제이홉), Jimin (지민), V (뷔) and Jungkook (정국), respectively.
3. GOT7, which was formed by JYP Entertainment, debuted in January 2014. Its members are Im Jae Bum (임재범), Mark Yi En Tuan (段宜恩), Wang Ka Yee (王嘉爾), Park Jin Young (박진영), Choi Young Jae (최영재), Kunpimook Bhuwakul Bambam (กันต์พิมุกต์ ภูวกุล) and Kim Yu Gyeom (김유겸), who are professionally known as JB (제이비), Mark (마크), Jackson (잭슨), Jinyoung (진영), Youngjae (영재), BamBam (뱀뱀) and Yugyeom (유겸), respectively.
4. Monsta X was formed through the Mnet show “No.Mercy” in 2015. Its members are Sohn Hyun-woo (손현우), Lee Ho-seok (이호석), Lee Min-hyuk (이민혁), Yoo Ki-hyun (유기현), Chae Hyung-won (채형원), Lee Joo-heon (이주헌) and Im Chang-kyun (임창균), who are professionally known as Shownu (셔누), Wonho (원호), Minhyuk (민혁), Kihyun (기현), Hyungwon (형원), Jooheon (주헌) and I.M (아이엠), respectively.
5. MAMAMOO is a quartet formed by RBW in 2014. Its members are Kim Yong Sun (김용선), Moon Byul Yi (문별이), Jung Whee In (정휘인) and Ahn Hye Jin (안혜진), who are professionally known as Solar (솔라), Moonbyul (문별), Wheein (휘인) and Hwasa (화사), respectively.
6. NCT 127, the second sub-unit of the K-pop group NCT, debuted on July 7, 2016. Its members are Lee Tae Yong (이태용), Moon Tae Il (문태일), Seo Young Ho (서영호), Nakamoto Yuta (中本悠太), Kim Dong Young (김동영), Jung Yoon Oh (정윤오), Dong Si Cheng (董思成), Kim Jung-woo (김정우), Mark Lee and Lee Dong Hyuck (이동혁), who are professionally known as Taeyong (태용), Taeil (태일), Johnny (쟈니), Yuta (유타), Doyoung (도영), Jaehyun (재현), Win Win (윈윈), Jungwoo (정우), Mark (마크) and Haechan (해찬), respectively.
7. NU’EST W, which was formed by Pledis Entertainment, debuted on March 15, 2012. Its members are Kim Jong Hyun (김종현), Aaron Kwak, Kang Dong Ho (강동호), Hwang Min Hyun (황민현) and Choi Min Ki (최민기), who are professionally known as JR (제이알), Aron (아론), Baekho (백호), Minhyun (민현) and Ren (렌), respectively.
8. SEVENTEEN was formed by Pledis Entertainment in 2015. Its members are Choi Sung Cheol (최승철), Yoon Jung Han (윤정한), Joshua Hong, Wen Junhui (文俊辉), Kwon Soonyoung (권순영), Jeon Wonwoo (전원우), Lee Jihoon (이지훈), Lee Seokmin (이석민), Kim Mingyu (김민규), Xu Minghao (徐明浩), Boo Seung Kwan (부승관), Hansol Vernon Choi and Lee Chan (이찬), who are professionally known as S.Coups (에스.쿱스), Jeonghan (정한), Joshua (조슈아), Jun (준), Hoshi (호시), Wonwoo (원우), Woozi (우지), DK (도겸), Mingyu (민규), The8 (디에잇), Seungkwan (승관), Vernon (버논) and Dino (디노), respectively.
9. TWICE was formed by JYP Entertainment through the show “Sixteen” in 2015. Its members are Park Ji Hyo (박지효), Im Na Yeon (임나연), Yoo Jung Yeon (유정연), Hirai Momo (平井 もも), Minatozaki Sana (湊崎 紗夏), Myoui Mina (名井 南), Kim Da Hyun (김다현), Son Chae Young (손채영) and Chou Tzuyu (周子瑜), who are professionally known as Jihyo (지효), Nayeon (나연), Jeongyeon (정연), Momo (모모), Sana (사나), Mina (미나), Dahyun (다현), Chaeyoung (채영) and Tzuyu (쯔위), respectively.
10. Wanna One was formed by CJ E&M through the show “Produce 101” Season 2 in 2017. Its members are Yoon Ji-sung (윤지성), Ha Sung-woon (하성운), Hwang Min-hyun (황민현), Ong Seong-woo (옹성우), Kim Jae-hwan (김재환), Kang Daniel (강다니엘), Park Jihoon (박지훈), Park Woojin (박우진), Bae Jinyoung (배진영), Lee Dae-hwi (이대휘) and Lai Guan Lin (賴冠霖), who are professionally known as Jisung (지성), Sungwoon (성운), Minhyun (민현), Seongwoo (성우), Jaehwan (재환), Daniel (다니엘), Jihoon (지훈), Woojin (우진), Jinyoung (진영), Daehwi (대휘) and Kuanlin (관린), respectively.
From the 10 nominees, the fans voted for the Worldwide Icon of the Year. In the end, the inaugural award was given to BTS.
Watch the highlights of the 2018 MAMA Fans’ Choice in Japan here: