Wendi Jill Adelson is a lawyer from Miami, Florida, United States. She speaks English and Spanish.
Aside from Miami Beach, Adelson has lived in other parts of Florida including Tamarac, Tallahassee, Pompano Beach and Coral Springs. She previously lived in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA in Washington, D.C., USA.
Adelson has two older brothers namely Robert Adelson and Charles Adelson and their parents Dr. Harvey J. Adelson and Donna Sue Adelson are from Coral Springs. Harvey had a dental practice in Tamarac, for which Donna was the patient-care coordinator.
Wendi was 7 years younger than her former husband Daniel Eric “Dan” Markel, the son of Phil Markel and Ruth Markel of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. She and Dan have two sons.
When Wendi was a high school student, she founded Starting Blocks, a charity that gives educational material and toys and to underprivileged children. Here are 13 more things about her:
- In 1997, she won a Miami Herald Silver Knight Award for her work on Starting Blocks.
- She graduated magna cum laude from Brandeis University in Waltham and earned her master’s degree in international relations from the University of Cambridge in Cambridge, England, where she was a Gates scholar. In 2006, she earned her law degree from the University of Miami in Coral Gables.
- On February 26, 2006, she and Dan got married. Rabbi Shaul Robinson officiated at Congregation B’nai Israel in Boca Raton, Florida.
- On October 11, 2006, she was accepted to the Florida bar.
- In 2009, she gave birth to her first son.
- In 2010, she gave birth to her second son.
- In 2011, she self-published ‘This is Our Story“, a novel about human trafficking. From 2011 to 2015, she was a clinical law professor at Florida State University in Tallahassee.
- In 2012, he and Wendi separated.
- When their divorce was finalized in July 2013, Dan won an order prohibiting her from moving to Miami, Florida with their two sons and she was granted 50-50 custody of their children. After the divorce, she started dating Florida State University professor Jeffrey Lacasse.
- She was 34 years old when Dan was shot at his home in Tallahassee on July 18, 2014. He died on July 19, 2014. In September 2014, she and Lacasse became a couple.
- From 2015 to 2016, she served as a law clerk to Judge Adalberto Jordan of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit in Miami.
- In July 2017, she was appointed head of the Immigration Partnership & Coalition (IMPAC) Fund.
- On September 27, 2019, she testified under an immunity deal in the murder trial of Sigredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua, who were accused of killing Dan.