Daniel Eric “Dan” Markel was an attorney and a law professor born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada to Phil Markel and Ruth Markel. Dan grew up in Toronto.
Phil served as the president of Smart Outsourcing Services, an apparel warehousing and distribution business in Toronto. Ruth is the author of “Room at the Top: A Woman’s Guide to Moving Up in Business” and the owner of RNM Enterprises, a business management consulting company in Toronto.
Dan wrote important works on retribution in criminal law and sentencing. Here are 10 more things about him:
- He was a scholar in residence at the law school of New York University in New York City, New York, United States.
- He graduated magna cum laude from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA with a bachelor’s degree in politics and philosophy. He studied political philosophy at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Jerusalem, Israel, earned his master’s degree in philosophy at the University of Cambridge in Cambridge, England, graduating with high honors, and earned his master’s degree in political theory from Harvard University.
- He co-founded PrawfsBlawg, a blog addressing various topics related to law and life.
- He was 7 years older than his former wife Wendi Jill Adelson, the daughter of Dr. Harvey J. Adelson and Donna Sue Adelson of Coral Springs, Florida, USA. He and Wendi have two sons.
- In 2001, he earned his Juris Doctor from Harvard University. Upon graduation, he worked as a research fellow at the Berkman Center at Harvard Law School, a law clerk for Judge Michael Daly Hawkins on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and an associate at Kellogg, Huber, Hansen, Todd, Evans & Figel in Washington, D.C., USA.
- In 2005, he joined the faculty of Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida where he taught criminal law.
- On February 26, 2006, he married Wendi. Rabbi Shaul Robinson officiated at Congregation B’nai Israel in Boca Raton, Florida.
- He co-authored “Privilege or Punish: Criminal Justice and the Challenge of Family Ties.” Published in 2009, the book explored the intersection between crime, punishment and family. Also in 2009, Wendi gave birth to their first son.
- In 2010, Wendi gave birth to their second son. In the same year, he was tenured at Florida State University.
- In 2012, he and Wendi separated. In the same year, he was promoted to full professor at Florida State University.
- When their divorce was finalized in 2013, he won an order prohibiting Wendi from moving to Miami, Florida with their two sons and she was granted 50-50 custody of their children.
- Shortly before 11:00 a.m. on July 18, 2014, he was shot by hired gunmen Sigfredo Garcia and Luis Rivera at his home in Tallahassee. Garcia is the former boyfriend of Katherine Magbanua, the girlfriend of Wendi’s brother Charles Jay “Charlie” Adelson.
- On July 19, 2014, he died. He was 41.