Chad “Superman” Hanekom, 27, of Sunninghill, South Africa and Daniel “Gaúcho” Souza Pereira, 28, of Curitiba, Parana, Brazil have made the first ever BRAVE Combat Federation Middleweight title bout official. They tipped the scale within the weight class limit and are set to battle at “BRAVE CF 31.”
Featuring 10 mixed martial arts bouts, “BRAVE CF 31” will take place at the Sibaya Casino in Durban, South Africa on December 7, 2019. The main event is the title bout between Souza and Hanekom.
BRAVE CF president Mohammed “The Hawk” Shahid graced the ceremonial weigh-ins. Hanekom weighed in officially at 83.6 kg while Souza weighed in at 83.55 kg and they had an intense but respectful staredown.
Before that, Souza spoke at length about his wishes for the fight, and his prediction as to how the middleweight title bout will go down. The Brazilian contender believes his aggressiveness will be a key trait for him to make history and become the first ever BRAVE CF Middleweight World Champion.
“I have a lot of respect for Chad,” Souza stated. “I’ve been studying him a lot. I’m ready for whatever but I think he’ll try to take me down and I want to keep the fight standing.”
“Fans can expect a very technical fight but I’m going for a lot of brutality,” Souza continued. “That’s what I want to showcase in there.”
Two fighters missed weight for their contracted bouts but both fights will go on. Djamil “Dynamite” Chan, 29, of the Netherlands and Matt Raynard of South Africa will give 20 percent of their purses to their opponents Amin “Fierceness” Ayoub, 24, of France and British Boloyoang of South Africa, respectively.
“BRAVE CF 31” weigh-in results
- Welterweight bout: Eleizer Kubanza (79.4kg) vs Matt Raynard (82.1kg)*
- Welterweight bout: Dimitri Fogg (79.5kg) vs Jason Culverwell (79.2kg)
- Bantamweight bout: Nkosi Ndebele (61.4kg) vs Ian Cleary (61.6kg)
- Bantamweight bout: Martin Debeer (60.3kg) vs Abdul Hussein (61.6kg)
- Featherweight bout: Cedric Doyle (66.1kg) vs Tariq Ismail (66kg)
- Welterweight bout: Kevin Ruart (79.7kg) vs Ibrahim Mane (79.7kg)
- Middleweight bout: Mizwandile Hlongwa (84.3kg) vs Jeremy Smith (84.3kg)
- Catchweight bout (73kg): Djamil Chan (73.3kg)* vs Amin Ayoub (72.7kg)
- Catchweight bout (58 kg): Dansheel Moodley (58kg) vs Anton Larsson (57.7kg)
- Middleweight World Title: Chad Hanekom (83.6kg) vs Daniel Souza (83.55kg)