Israa Al Seblani is a Lebanese-American doctor. She got married to Ahmad Subeih got married in Beirut, Lebanon on August 4, 2020.
On the same day, Al Seblani was posing with her long white gown and veil for her wedding video outside Le Gray Hotel at the Saifi Square in Beirut when a massive explosion shocked and devastated the capital city of Lebanon. The couple’s wedding photographer Mahmoud Nakib told CNN, “We were filming an outdoor photo session for the bride and the groom then we heard an explosion.”
“That was the first explosion,” Nakib continued. “We thought that is was far away. We continued filming normally. In just one second, the sky turned black and we heard the second explosion.”
At least 135 people were killed by the blast and more than 5,000 people were injured. While the cause of the explosions is still unclear, a warehouse storing thousands of tons of an unsecured and volatile chemical compound is being blamed.
The wedding video went viral. Here are 13 more facts about Al Seblani:
- She is originally from Baalbeck, Béqaa, Lebanon.
- From Baalbeck, she moved to Beirut in September 2009.
- After graduating from high school in Moscow, Russia in 2010, she entered Beirut Arab University where she studied medicine.
- She was an intern at Hammoud Hospital University Medical Center in Sidon, Lebanon.
- From 2012 to 2018, her sister Doaa Seblani also attended Beirut Arab University where she studied dentistry. The sister has moved to the United States.
- In 2013, she moved from Beirut to Michigan City, Indiana, USA. From Michigan City, she moved to Troy, Michigan, where she currently resides.
- She is completing a residency in endocrinology at a hospital in Detroit.
- She got engaged to Subeih on July 25, 2017. Their wedding kept getting postponed while they were waiting for the U.S. federal government to approve his immigration status.
- From Troy, she traveled to Beirut in the second week of July 2020 for her wedding.
- She was 29 years old when she got married to Subeih on August 4, 2020.
- She was completing a residency in endocrinology at a hospital in Detroit when she got married to Subeih on August 4, 2020.
- Right after the explosion in Beirut on her wedding day on August 4, 2020, she helped to check on the injured people nearby before fleeing the Saifi Square.
- She loves Lebanon but after the blast on her wedding day on August 4, 2020 in Beirut, she felt that living there was no longer an option.