Kimberly “Kim” Layne is an American beauty queen from Idaho, United States. She is of Irish and Filipino descent.
Layne is an advocate for public health. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She was born to an Irish father and a Filipino mother in 1994 in Idaho, where she also grew up surrounded by animals. Her father is from a farming family and was a medic in Vietnam.
- She has dual citizenship with the Philippines.
- She attended Skyview High School in Nampa, Idaho where she served as the president of the National Honor Society and a member of Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) and Idaho Drug Free Youth. In 2010, and Idaho Drug Free Youth. In 2010, she was part of the HOSA team that placed sixth in the national game show competition designed to test a person’s health care knowledge in the HOSA Bowl in Orlando, Florida, USA. A track and field athlete, she placed second in the triple jump in Idaho in 2010.
- While she was a Skyview High School senior student, she was crowned Miss Idaho Teen USA 2012 and was unplaced in Miss Teen USA 2012. After the pageants, she pursued a career as a model in Boise, Idaho.
- From 2012 to 2016, she attended Cornell University in Ithaca, New York where she earned her bachelor’s degree in animal sciences. She minored in biomedical sciences and graduated with honors in research.
- From May 2013 to August 2013, she was a dairy herd health intern at Stewart Farms in Nampa. From October 2013 to November 2014, she served as the vice president of marketing of the Alpha Phi International Fraternity.
- From June 2015 to August 2015, she was an undergraduate small animal medicine intern at the Kindness Small Animal Medical Center in Nampa.
- From June 2015 to May 2016, she volunteered as a foster and handler for service dogs in-training to be placed into the homes of veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) at Merlin’s Kids, Inc. in Midland Park, New Jersey, USA.
- From September 2016 to November 2016, she was an international veterinary student intern at Ecole Nationale de Médecine Vétérinaire in Sidi Thabet, Tunisia.
- From June 2016 to May 2018, she was a veterinary assistant at the Olde Town Animal Hospital in Southampton, New York, USA. From June 2018 to August 2018, she was a summer veterinary research fellow in the division of comparative medicine at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
- In 2017, she e enrolled at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA and at Washington State University in Pullman, Washington, USA where she is pursuing a master’s degree in public health and a medical degree in veterinary medicine, respectively. She is expected to graduate in 2021.
- On October 27, 2019, she was crowned Miss Idaho USA 2020 at the Special Events Center in Boise State University in Boise. She won a $10,000 scholarship and a $5,000 cash prize.
- On November 9, 2020, she was named runner-up to Miss USA 2020 Asya Branch.