Chloe Kim is an American snowboarder of South Korean descent. She grew up in Torrance, California, United States.
As a snowboarder, Kim has been competing since 2006. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She was born 김선 (Kim Seon) to Korean parents in Long Beach, California in 2000.
- In 2004, her father started her on a snowboard at age four at the southern California resort of Mountain High in the San Gabriel Mountains in Los Angeles County, California.
- In 2006, she joined Team Mountain High.
- From 2008 to 2010, she trained in Geneva, Switzerland.
- In 2013, she became a member of the U.S. Snowboarding Team.
- In 2014, she earned a silver medal in superpipe at the Winter X Games in Aspen, Colorado, USA. She was runner-up to Kelly Clark.
- In 2015, she defeated Clark by winning gold in the superpipe at the Winter X Games in Aspen. She became the youngest gold medalist of the annual extreme sports event at the time.
- In 2016, she won two gold medals at the X Games, making her the first person under the age of 16 to do so and the first person to win back-to-back gold medals at the annual extreme sports event. In the same year, she landed back-to-back 1080 spins at the U.S. Snowboarding Grand Prix, making her the first woman to do so in a snowboarding competition. She made two more records that year as the first American woman to win a gold medal in snowboarding at the Winter Youth Olympic Games and the first snowboarder to serve as flag bearer for Team USA at either the Olympic Winter Games or Youth Olympic Games.
- She was one of the women featured in the music video of the second version of “Girls Like You” by Maroon 5, which was originally recorded in 2018. The new version featuring Cardi B was released in 2018.
- Coached by Ricky Bower, she won the gold medal in the women’s halfpipe finals at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. It was her first Winter Olympic and her relatives in South Korea watched her compete. She was 17 years old at the time, making her the youngest woman to ever win gold at the Olympics in the halfpipe breaking the record of Clark, who was 18 when she won her Olympic gold. Also in 2018, she became the first woman to land a frontside double cork 1080 in halfpipe.
- In 2019, she was one of the women athletes featured in a Nike advertisement, which appeared during the 91st Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles on February 24, 2019,
- She made a cameo in “Charlie’s Angels,” which starred Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott and Ella Balinska. Written and directed by Elizabeth Banks, the action comedy film was released in Australia on November 14, 2019 in Australia and on November 15, 2019 in the U.S.
- She competed in “The Masked Singer” Season 4 as the Jellyfish. She was unmasked in the 10th episode, which was aired on December 2, 2020 on Fox, along with Tori Kelly as the Seahorse and Taylor Dayne as the Popcorn.