Kevin Wesley Love is a professional basketball player, a model and a mental health awareness advocate from Oregon, United States. He attended the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) in Westwood, Los Angeles, California, USA.
Love, who is 6’8″ tall, made his National Basketball Association debut in 2008. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He was born in Santa Monica, California in 1988 to former NBA player Stan Love and Karen Love. He has an older named Collin Love and one younger sister named Emily Love. After playing basketball for the University of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon, Stan played for the Baltimore Bullets from 1971 to 1973, the Los Angeles Lakers from 1973 to 1975 and the San Antonio Spurs in 1975.
- He grew up in Lake Oswego, Oregon and attended Lake Oswego High School where he played basketball.
- In July 2006, he verbally committed to play college basketball at the UCLA instead of the University of Oregon, which angered basketball fans from Oregon. He was teammates with Russell Westbrook at the UCLA.
- He played basketball at the UCLA from 2007 to 2008. He was named the Naismith Prep Player of the Year in 2007. He was named Pac-10 Player of the Year in 2008. In the same year, he decided to forgo his remaining three years of college eligibility and entered the NBA draft. The Memphis Grizzlies took him fifth overall immediately after Westbrook, who was selected by the Seattle SuperSonics. After the draft, he was traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- In 2009, he became the first among NBA players to join the Hoops for St. Jude, a charity program for the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, USA.
- In 2010, he was a member of the U.S. national team when it competed at the FIBA World Championship.
- In 2011, he was named the NBA Most Improved Player. In the same year, he signed a six-year endorsement contract with the Chinese shoe company 361 Degrees.
- In 2012, he was a member of the U.S. national team when it competed at the Summer Olympics. In the same year, he became an investor in the lifestyle website 12Society.
- In 2014, the Minnesota Timberwolves traded him to the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- In 2015, he started dating Canadian model Kate Bock.
- In 2016, he became the new style ambassador and campaign model for Banana Republic, a clothing and accessories retailer owned by the multinational corporation Gap Inc.
- During an NBA game in November 2017, he suffered from a panic attack. After this, he started seeing a therapist, which he publicly revealed in March 2018.
- In 2018, he established the Kevin Love Fund, which provides tools and help for people to improve their physical and emotional well-being. On March 12, 2020, the fund donated $100,000 to the support staff of Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse in Cleveland, Ohio, USA where the Cleveland Cavaliers play. The recipients of the donation were not able to work during the new coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.