Larry J. Ibarreta Millete is married to Maya Mangaliman Talabanza Millete, who is originally from the Philippines. His father Benito Millete is a United States Navy retiree and a 20-year veteran.
Born in the same year, Larry and Maya are high school sweethearts. They live on Paseo Los Gatos in Chula Vista, San Diego, California, USA with their three children.
Larry previously lived in Murrieta, California and in Hawaii, USA, particularly in Pearl City and Honolulu. Here are 13 more things about him:
- In August 1997, his father reported to Pearl Harbor in Oahu, Hawaii. On April 30, 1997, he stabbed a boy, then 17, in Bay Terraces, San Diego, California. The victim recovered in the hospital while he was arrested. (a)(b)
- In 1999, he and Maya got married. In the same year, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy in Honolulu. (b)(c)(d)
- From 2000 to 2005, he served in the U.S. Navy and had no disciplinary actions. (b)
- On December 6, 2001, he was assigned to the Naval Medical Center San Diego where he carried out routine optician duties with no combat service. (b)
- In 2003, he received a Navy and Marine Corps achievement medal, a National Defense service medal, a Global War on Terrorism medal, a good conduct medal and a pistol sharpshooter ribbon. When his U.S. Navy active service ended on August 27, 2005, his rank was Hospital Corpsman, Third Class (HM3). His U.S. Navy reserve obligation was terminated on January 10, 2008. (b)
- In January 2010, Maya gave birth to their first daughter. She gave birth to their second daughter in 2011 and to their son in 2016. (c)
- In 2020, he sent hundreds of text messages to friends and family complaining about his wife who he accused of having an affair, according to an attorney named Billy Little Jr. Despite having no evidence of the affair, he asked his wife’s supervisor to move her male co-workers, according to the attorney. On June 28, 2020, he sent to someone via a text message the Bible verses Proverbs 5: 3-13, which contain the phrases “the lips of the adulterous woman drip honey” and “her feet go down to death; her steps lead straight to the grave.” On September 16, 2020, he sent to someone a photo of what looks like an altar with a photo of him and Maya surrounded by candles. (e)
- On January 3, 2021, he and Maya argued over a Jeep Wrangler they brought with them on a family camping trip to the Glamis Sand Dunes in California, according to her sister Maricris Tabalanza Drouaillet and Drouaillet’s husband Richard Drouaillet. Another family member claimed that during that trip, she said, “If anything happened to me, it would be Larry.” Between September 2020 and January 11, 2021, he spent$1,154.05 for 70 spells. (f)(g)(h)(i)
- He was the last person to see Maya on January 7, 2021, according to Richard. Maricris reported her missing on January 9, 2021. He and Maya were supposed to travel with their three children to Big Bear Lake, San Bernardino County, California on January 9, 2021 for the eldest child’s 11th birthday. On January 11, 2021, he let Little in their house on Paseo Los Gatos. Little noticed a hole in the bedroom and discovered a freezer was missing from the garage, which the lawyer later found in one of his relatives. He later accused Little of falsely presenting himself as an Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) agent to gain access into his home, which the lawyer denied. (e)(f)
- He had retained a lawyer and was no longer cooperating with the investigation related to Maya’s disappearance, Maricris revealed on February 4, 2021. He discussed paying someone $20,000 to kill Maya’s alleged boyfriend, a witness who allegedly heard the discussion revealed on April 5, 2021. (f)(j)
- He owns 22 firearms including three shotguns, five handguns and 7 AR-15s. Only eight of the firearms are legally registered to him. On May 5, 2021, he was the target of a temporary gun violence restraining order requiring him to surrender assault rifles, handguns and ammunition in his possession. The Chula Vista Police Department executed a search warrant at his home in Chula Vista on May 7, 2021 and arrested him there on October 19, 2021. (b)(k)(l)
- Accused of murdering Maya, he was charged with murder. In June 2022, the criminal case was halted after his defense attorney Bonita Martinez declared a doubt as to his competency to stand trial. On September 26, 2022, criminal proceedings were reinstated as San Diego Superior Court Judge Cindy Davis found that he is mentally competent. (m)(n)
- He was 41 years old when the preliminary hearing for him started in San Diego. (i)