Jean-Luc Brunel was born in Paris, France. As a model scout and modelling agency manager, he led the modelling agency Karin Models and founded MC2 Model Management with financing by Jeffrey Epstein.
Brunel was nicknamed Le fantôme. Here are 13 more things about him:
- In the late 1970s, he worked as a modelling scout for Karin Models, a modeling agency founded by Karin Mossberg and based in Paris. In 1978, he became the head of the agency.
- He was married to Swedish model Helen Hogberg. She divorced him in 1979. He and American model Roberta Chirko started dating in 1986 and got married in 1988. They later divorced.
- In the 1980s, he met Ghislaine Maxwell, who introduced him to Epstein.
- In 1988, he and his brother Arnaud Brunel founded the Next Management Corporation. In the same year, he was the subject of a “60 Minutes” investigation. He was accused of recruiting young females and of partaking in the alleged sex trafficking ring run by Epstein.
- In 1989, he, Arnaud and Faith Kates launched the global modeling agency Next Management Company.
- In 1995, he founded Karin Models of America. In 2005, he transformed it into MC2 Model Management and opened offices in the United States, particularly in New York City and Miami. The MC2 Model Management dissolved on September 27, 2019.
- From 1998 to 2005, he was listed as a passenger in flight logs for Epstein’s private plane on 25 trips.
- In November 1999, he was banned from his modeling agency Europe after he was included in a report on abuse within the fashion industry.
- In the early 2000s, he moved to the U.S. He worked with Epstein from the early 2000s to 2015. He sexually trafficked girls for Epstein, Virginia Roberts Guiffre claimed in an affidavit in 2015.
- In August 2019, Guiffre named him as one of the men Maxwell had directed her as a teenager to have sex with. On August 10, 2019, Epstein was found dead in his cell at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York City, New York. After Epstein’s death, he went into hiding as French National Police launched an investigation on him.
- On December 16, 2020, he was arrested at Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris as he was about to board a flight to Dakar, Senegal. French prosecutors charged him with the rape of minors.
- In September 2021, he was formally indicted on a single count of rape. He as accused of drugging a model, then 17, at a nightclub and raping her in the 1990s.
- On February 19, 2022, he was found dead in his jail cell in La Santé, Paris.