Tatiana Perebeinis was a Ukrainian mother who worked in the United States. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She and Serhiy Perebyinis met in high school. Years later, they met on a dance floor at a nightclub in Ukraine and started dating.
- In 2001, she and Serhiy got married.
- She and Serhiy were both 13 years old when Ukraine withdrew from the Soviet Union on August 24, 1991.
- In 2003, she gave birth to her son Mykyta Perebyinis.
- In 2012, she gave birth to her daughter Alisa Perebyinis.
- In 2014, she, Serhiy, Mykyta and Alisa had to move from Donetsk, Ukraine to Kyiv, Ukraine amid pro-Russian, antigovernment separatist groups’ protests in Donetsk and Luhansk, Ukraine. They later moved to a bedroom community in Irpin, Ukraine.
- In 2016, he was hired as an accountant at SE Ranking‘s office in Kyiv. Based in Palo Alto, California, United States, the company was founded in 2013 by Dmitri Lipnitsky and Valery Kurilov, who are natives of Belarus. She went on to become the company’s chief financial officer in Ukraine while her husband worked as a computer programmer.
- On February 23, 2022, she brought Alisa to work in Kyiv.
- She loved skiing. She had just returned to Ukraine from a ski trip to Georgia when Russia started invading Ukraine on February 24, 2022. SE Ranking urged her and her fellow employees to leave Ukraine, provided emergency funds for them to evacuate and rented rooms for them in Poland. However, she had to delay her departure while planning how to evacuate her mother, who has Alzheimer’s disease. Meanwhile, Serhiy had to go to Donetsk to care for his mother who was sick with the new coronavirus (COVID-19). He was trapped in Donetsk as the Russian invasion of Ukraine continued.
- On March 3, 2022, she, Mykyta and Alisa started living in the basement of their apartment building in Irpin after Russian shelling damaged the building.
- On March 5, 2022, she, Mykyta and Alisa were preparing to evacuate their apartment building in Irpin when a tank rolled by on the street outside so they had to stay.
- On March 6, 2022, she, her parents, Mykyta and Alisa tried to evacuate to Kyiv with the help of Anatoly Berezhnyi, 26, a volunteer from the Irpin Bible Church. While they were crossing a street on one side of a damaged bridge over the Irpin River, Russian forces fired into the area, killing all of them except her parents, who were unharmed. Their bodies were photographed by New York Times photographer Lynsey Addario.
- She died at the age of 43. Serhiy learned of her death and the deaths of Mykyta and Alisa from Twitter posts by Ukrainians.