Roy Andrew “Drew” Barr was a firefighter, an emergency medical technician and a police officer from South Carolina, United States. Here are 10 more things about him:
- He lived in Monetta, South Carolina.
- Aside from Monetta, he lived in other parts of South Carolina including Batesburg and Ridge Spring.
- He did not have a spouse or children.
- He was a captain with the Monetta Volunteer Fire Department.
- In 2016, he joined the Cayce Police Department in Cayce, South Carolina as a police trainee. He worked well with children and cared for his Cayce community, according to the department’s chief Chris Cowan.
- In 2017, he graduated from the Criminal Justice Academy in Columbia, South Carolina. On May 27, 2017, he and Cayce Police Department sergeant Evan Antley chased Eugene Jonathon James, then 19, of Orangeburg, South Carolina, who was driving a stolen vehicle. James shot him and Antley. Both officers, who were wounded, returned fire and survived.
- In October 2020, he was promoted to the Cayce Police Department’s K-9 unit. His dog Molly is a K-9 black Labrador retriever.
- On July 21, 2021, James admitted to shooting him and Antley on May 27, 2017, pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted murder and other charges and was sentenced to 20 years in state prison.
- At 2:48 a.m. on April 24, 2022, he and two other Cayce Police Department officers responded to a domestic violence call on Rossmore Road in Cayce where Austin Henderson, 36, opened fire, fatally shooting him. Henderson also fatally shot himself after a seven-hour negotiation.
- He died at the age of 27. He would have turned 28 in June 2022.