Jayland Walker was a black man from Ohio, United States. Here are 10 more things about him:
- He was a resident of Akron, Ohio.
- He is Pamela Walker‘s son and Jada Walker‘s brother. They are related to Robert Dejournett, a pastor at St. Ashworth Temple Church of God in Christ in Akron. He was a fun-loving young man who was full of life, Dejournett told CNN.
- He worked as a food delivery driver for DoorDash.
- He had one traffic ticket but no criminal record.
- He went to John R. Buchtel Community Learning Center in Akron.
- In May 2022, his fiancée Jaymeisha Beasley died in a hit-and-run car crash. She was 27.
- He owned a silver 2005 Buick sedan. At 2:30 a.m. on June 26, 2022, a police officer from new Franklin, Ohio tried to stop the vehicle for having a broken taillight and license plate bulb as it left a Subway sandwich shop.
- At around 12:30 a.m. on June 27, 2022, he was driving his silver 2005 Buick sedan on Route 8 in North Hill, Akron when Akron Police Department officers tried to pull him over for an equipment violation and a traffic violation. He did not stop to the officers chased him. His car slowed down and while it was moving, he exited the passenger side door in a ski mask and tried to run off. After around 10 seconds of chasing him, eight officers opened fire for 7 seconds. He suffered at least 60 gunshot wounds and fell in a parking lot where he was pronounced dead. He was unarmed. A total of 13 officers were at the scene. After the shooting, a handgun, a loaded magazine and a gold ring were found in his car.
- He died at the age of 25.
- The body camera videos of the 13 Akron Police Department officers who were at the scene when he was fatally shot on June 27, 2022 were not released on July 3, 2022. Because of the shooting, officials in Akron announced that the July 4 celebrations would be cancelled.