Fan Liu is a Chinese man living in New York, United States. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He is a resident of Jericho, New York.
- His English nickname is Frank.
- He was born in China.
- He is the president of entities called Congress Web TV Station and the World Harmony Foundation.
- Between January 2021 and March 2022, he, Matthew Ziburis, Qiang Sun and others allegedly knowingly and willingly conspired to act in the U.S. as agents of China without prior notification to the U.S. attorney general. Under Sun’s direction and control, he and Ziburis allegedly discredited pro-democracy dissidents from China residing in the U.S. by spying on them and disseminating negative information about them.
- In January 2021, he approached a private investigator based in New York about performing investigations on two anti-Chinese Communist Party (CCP) pro-democracy activists born in China and residing in the U.S. On January 21, 2021, he requested Internal Revenue Service (IRS) reports on the two individuals. He later told the investigator that he had hired Ziburis to complete reports on 13 individuals.
- On February 28, 2021, he asked Ziburis to look for the best IRS consultant who could retrieve the tax report of a Chinse male dissident from 2018 to 2020. Ziburis said they could not get the dissident’s taxes unless they get into the dissident’s email account.
- On March 15, 2021, his company Congress Web TV Station used a digital payment application to transfer $1,500 to the investigator he approached in January 2021. On March 18, 2021, he told Ziburis that Sun wanted them to install a GPS device on a Chinese dissident’s car and purchase a drone device to surreptitiously videotape the dissident.
- On July 22, 2021, he, Ziburis and the investigator he approached in January 2021 met at an office in New York. They discussed how the government of China conducts cross-border operations.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation special agent Kevin Patrick Minton filed a criminal complaint against him, Ziburis and Sun which was signed by a U.S. Magistrate Judge in New York on March 9, 2022. They were charged with conspiring to commit interstate harassment and criminal use of a means of identification. He and Ziburis were charged with conspiring to act as agents of the government of China. He and Sun were also charged with conspiring to bribe a federal official.
- On March 15, 2022, he was arrested in New York.
- He was 62 years old when he was arrested on March 15, 2022. On March 16, 2022, he appeared in court in Brooklyn, New York before U.S. Magistrate Judge James R. Cho.
- On July 6, 2022, a federal grand jury in Brooklyn returned a superseding indictment charging him and four other defendants with various crimes pertaining to a transnational repression scheme orchestrated on behalf of the government China.
(This is a developing story. More details are being added.)