Rizzini Alexis “Rizi” Camlian Gomez was a Filipino registered nurse and beauty queen. She was five years older than her first cousin Beatrice Luigi Gomez who is also a beauty queen.
Born in Zamboanga City, Philippines, Rizi was the eldest child and the only daughter of Roel Gomez and Lalaine Lopez Gomez. Roel played for the Philippine Basketball Association team Alaska while Lalaine worked as a nurse in New York, United States.
Roel and Lalaine have two sons namely Ken Gomez and Kim Gomez, who played basketball at the University of Cebu in Banilad, Cebu City, Philippines. Here are 13 more things about Rizi:
- She was 5’10” tall.
- From 2007 to 2010, she attended the University of Cebu where she earned her bachelor’s degree in nursing.
- She was Miss Mandaue 2008.
- She was runner-up to Miss Cebu 2009 Kris Tiffany Janson.
- Representing the Sinulog Festival, she was crowned Aliwan Festival Queen 2010 at the Aliw Theater at the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) Complex in Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines on April 24, 2010.
- On June 24, 2012, she represented Cordoba City, Cebu at Miss World Philippines 2012 and competed against 24 other candidates at Manila Hotel in Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines. She was unplaced.
- On August 12, 2012, she represented Cebu City at Mutya ng Pilipinas 2012 and competed against 29 other candidates at the University of the Philippines Theater in Diliman, Quezon City Metro Manila. She ranked second, winning the Mutya ng Pilipinas Tourism 2012 title.
- On September 30, 2012, she served as the muse of the Alaska Aces at the 2012-2013 PBA season opening ceremony.
- On December 31, 2012, she represented the Philippines at Miss Tourism International 2012 and competed against 59 other candidates in Selangor, Malaysia. She won the title, making her the Malaysia-based international beauty pageant’s second titleholder from the Philippines following Maria Esperanza Manzano‘s coronation in 2000.
- In 2013, she was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma in her lungs. She had to endure constant headaches, neck pains and shortness of breath. On December 31, 2013, she went to Putrajaya, Malaysia to crown Miss Tourism International 2013 Angeli Dione Gomez, who is also Cebuana.
- Wearing a black wig, she attended the Sinulog Festival grand parade on January 18, 2015 along with her fellow Cebuana beauty queens Sian Elizabeth Maynard, Rogelie Catacutan, Angeli Dione, Jamie Herrell and Steffi Rose Aberasturi, who won the Aliwan Festival Queen title in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014, respectively. On May 7, 2015, her cousin Beatrice Luigi became Miss Mandaue 2015 second runner-up.
- After eight sessions of chemotherapy, she recovered lymphoma and went back to jogging with her father and swimming and going out with her cousins. But in July 2015, she felt something was wrong and was admitted to the Perpetual Succour Hospital in Cebu City. It turned out her lymphoma had metastasized to her spine and her heart had already weakened as a side effect of her chemotherapy.
- Her brother Ken lived in New York with their mother. On October 11, 2015, she was in tears when he visited her in the hospital in Cebu City where she was in bed rest with a tube in her mouth. At around 8:30 a.m. on October 13, 2015, she died of lymphoma at the Cebu Doctors’ University Hospital in Cebu City. She was 25.