The 22 ONE Championship athletes competing at “ONE: Pursuit of Greatness” had their face-off during the media open workout at Junction City in Yangon, Myanmar on October 24, 2018. The fight night took place at the Thuwunna Indoor Stadium in Yangon, Myanmar on October 26, 2018.
Brazil and Japan were represented at “ONE: Pursuit of Greatness.” The fight card featured three ONE Super Series kickboxing contests and eight mixed martial arts matches.
In the fourth bout of the evening, Luis “Sapo” Santos, 38, of Brazil faced Daichi Abe, 26, of Tokyo, Japan. They competed in the welterweight division.
Referee Olivier Coste put a stop to the welterweight bout between Santos and Abe at 0:33 of Round 1. The Brazilian contender knocked out his Japanese opponent via liver kick.
Santos is an MMA veteran of over 70 professional bouts. He made his MMA debut in 2000, entering an eight-man open weight tournament where he managed to triumph although some of the athletes weighed in at over 100kg.
In the tournament, Santos stopped all three of his opponents in the opening round. He claimed the first title of his incredible career.
More than half of Santos’s victories have come by knockout. While he holds a black belt in judo and in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, he is best known for his fearsome striking prowess.
On the other hand, Abe is known for his rapid strikes and the ability to attack from multiple angles. He is the former Pancrase Welterweight Champion.
After losing to Santos, Abe now holds a professional MMA record of 6 wins and 3 losses and a professional kickboxing record of 10 wins and 1 loss. “ONE: Pursuit of Greatness” marked the Japanese fighter’s ONE Championship debut.
“ONE: Pursuit of Greatness” was the second ONE Championship event in Myanmar in 2018. Here are the official results:
- Flyweight bout: Rudy Agustian defeats Kaji Ebin by Submission (Americana) at 4:01 minutes of round 1
- Bantamweight bout: Ahmad Qais Jasoor defeats Ma Xu Dong by Knockout (KO) at 2:16 minutes of round 2
- ONE Super Series Kickboxing Flyweight bout: Josh Tonna defeats Joseph Lasiri by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- Welterweight bout: Luis Santos defeats Daichi Abe by Knockout (KO) at 0:33 minutes of round 1
- Flyweight bout: Ye Thway Ne defeats Mite Yine by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- ONE Super Series Kickboxing Bantamweight bout: Han Zi Hao defeats Ryan Jakiri by Knockout (KO) at 1:39 minutes of round 1
- Catch Weight bout (67.0kgs): Masakazu Imanari defeats Radeem Rahman by Submission (Armbar) at 1:23 minutes of round 1
- ONE Super Series Light Heavyweight Kickboxing bout: Tarik Khbabez defeats Ibrahim El Bouni by TKO at 2:26 minutes of round 3
- Featherweight bout: Keanu Subba defeats Phoe Thaw by Submission (Guillotine) at 2:47 minutes of round 1
- ONE Middleweight World Championship bout: Aung La N Sang defeats Mohammad Karaki by TKO (Strikes) at 2:21 minutes of round 1
Watch all the “ONE: Pursuit of Greatness” bouts here: