Catriona Gray is currently in New York City, New York, United States where she is set to stay for a year to fulfill her duties as Miss Universe 2018. On January 3, 2018, she took to Instagram to ask her fans for recommendations about the city and to say goodbye to her home country Philippines.
View this post on Instagram
Refreshed from a quiet holiday season with my loved ones, I've packed up my home in Manila and now I'm ready to move to my new home in New York City!! 😍🗽 I still can't believe it! @missuniverse 🇵🇭✈️🇺🇲 I have to say I'm most nervous about experiencing the chill of NYC in winter ❄️ but would love to know, what are your recommendations to see, do and eat?! Let me know in the comments below!! 🤗 #MissUniverse Styled by @ton_lao @justine.aliman19 in a @jorel.espina Bomberong jacket 🇵🇭
Dubbed the cultural, financial and media capital of the world, New York City is the most populous city in the U.S. Here are 13 restaurants in the city the reigning Miss Universe should try:
1. Jeepney Filipino Gastropup is located at 201 1st Ave, New York City, which Gray should visit every time she feels homesick. Founded and managed by Nicole Ponseca, this restaurant serves brunch and dinner by its executive chef Miguel Trinidad.
2. Saigon Shack is a vegetarian-friendly restaurant at 114 Macdougal St, New York City. Gray should try its sandwiches and Vietnamese dishes with Miss Universe 2018 Top 5 finalist H’Hen Nie of Vietnam.
3. Caracas Arepa Bar has been operating at 91 E 7th St. New York City since 2003. Gray should try the restaurant’s Venezuelan arepas with Miss Universe 2018 second runner-up Sthefany Gutierrez of Venezuela.
4. The Freakin Rican is located at 4306 34th Avenue Astoria, New York City. Gray should try its authentic Puerto Rican food with Miss Universe 2018 Top 5 finalist Kiara Ortega of Puerto Rico.
5. Himalayan Yak is located at 71-20 Roosevelt Ave in Elmhurst in New York City. Gray should try its Himalayan, Nepalese, Indian dishes with Miss Universe 2018 Top 10 finalist Manita Devkota of Nepal and Miss Universe India 2018 Nehal Chudasama.
6. Luscious Thai is located at 1099 1st Avenue Upper East Side in New York City. Gray should try its authentic Thai cuisine with Miss Universe 2018 Top 10 finalist Sophida Kanchanarin of Thailand.
7. Kaia Wine Bar has been serving South African food and drinks at 1614 3rd Ave in Yorkville, New York City since 2010. Gray should unwind here with Miss Universe 2018 first runner-up Tamaryn Green of South Africa.
8. Bali Kitchen is a vegan restaurant at 128 E 4th St. East Village in New York City. Gray should try its Indonesian and Malaysian salads, soups and noodles with Miss Universe 2018 Top 20 finalist Sonia Fergina Citra of Indonesia and Miss Universe Malaysia 2018 Jane Teoh.
9. Ipanema Restaurant is a Latin American restaurant located at 43 W 46th St. Midtown West in New York City. Gray should try its Brazilian and Portuguese meals with Miss Universe Brazil 2018 Mayra Dias and Miss Universe Portugal 2018 Filipa Barroso.
10. Jamdung Restaurant and Bar is located at 1310 Forest Ave. in Westerleigh, New York City. Gray should try its Caribbean dishes with Miss Universe 2018 Top 20 finalist Emily Maddison of Jamaica and Miss Universe 2018 Top 10 finalist Akisha Albert of Curacao.
11. Budapest Cafe and Restaurant is located at 1631 2nd Ave Frnt 1, New York City. Gray should enjoy its Hungarian music and food with Miss Universe 2018 Top 20 Enikő Kecskès of Hungary.
12. Little Poland Restaurant is located at 200 2nd Ave, Frnt 1, New York City. Gray should try its Polish potato pancakes, apple cake, stew, borscht, kasha and other specialties with Miss Universe 2018 Top 20 finalist Magdalena Powanskca of Poland.
13. Manon Café is located at 120 Broadway Financial District in New York City. Gray should try its Belgian coffee and tea with Miss Universe 2018 Top 20 finalist Zoé Brunet of Belgium.