The nine pairs of mixed martial artists on the “Brave 22: Storm of Warriors” card had their face-offs during the public weigh-ins at the Newport Mall in Resorts World Manila in Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines on March 14, 2019. Three of the 18 fighters missed weight.
Marking Brave Combat Federation’s first ever Philippine event, “Brave 22: Storm of Warriors” will take place at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City on March 15, 2019. Before the fight night, the fighters confirmed their weights and stared their opponents down one last time before they face off inside the cage.
The night was full of tense staredowns as co-main event fighters Cian “The Warrior” Cowley, 25, of Ireland and John “The Trouble” Brewin, 24, of New Zealand stole the show, facing off with their expressions locked in while refusing to look away. Finally, the duo was separated by Brave CF president Mohammed “The Hawk” Shahid, 29, of Bahrain.
In the post-staredown interview, Cowley gave succinct statements. The fighter training at Straight Blast Gym Ireland claimd he was going to put on a “masterclass” against Brewin.
On the other hand, Brewin was a little more vocal. The Kiwi fighter representing Bali MMA was thankful for the opportunity of fighting in the Philippines, a place he had grown to love a few years back when he cornered a teammate in the country.
“I appreciate the opportunity of fighting in a co-main event in the Philippines,” Brewin stated. “I’ve said it before, that this is truly a dream come true but in the end, I’ll fight anywhere, anytime. I can fight every day of the week and it doesn’t need to be a co-main event.”
The headliners also made weight. Compared to the co-headliners, there was less tension between reigning Brave CF Bantamweight Champion Stephen “The Sniper” Loman, 23, of the Philippines and his challenger former Brave CF Featherweight Champion Elias “Smile” Boudegzdame, 25, of France.
“You can expect a good show tomorrow night,” Loman told the crowd in Resorts World Manila. “I’ve trained hard, Elias has trained hard. We’re ready. I’m very thankful for all the support from my people.”
In the show’s second bout, Jason “Python” Vergara, 22, of the Philippines and Hussain “Iron” Ayyad, 25, of Bahrain did not seem to see eye to eye. The duo nearly came to blows during their staredown as the Bahraini contender shoved his Filipino opponent before they were separated by Shahid.
In the official weigh-ins earlier today, three fighters missed their contracted weights with Filipino fighters Jeremy “The Juggernaut” Pacatiw, 22, Jon Chris “Happy Feet” Corton, 26, and Harold “The Artist” Banario, 24, coming in heavy. They will be fined for their misstep but their respective fights against Mark “The Ruthless” Alcoba, 27, of the Philippines, Abdul “Abba” Hussein, 21, of Finland and Ariel “The Lady Boxer” Oliveros, 24, of the Philippines will go on as scheduled.
Here are the official “Brave 22: Storm of Warriors” weigh-in results:
- Flyweight: Jomar Pa-ac (125 lbs/56.7 kg) vs Satya Behuria (125.4 lbs/56.9 kg)
- Flyweight: Jason Vergara (125 lbs/56.7 kg) vs Hussain Ayyad (125.8 lbs/57.1 kg)
- Flyweight: Jon Chris Corton (126.5 lbs/57.4 kg)* vs Abdul Hussein (125.8 lbs/57.1 kg)
- Bantamweight: Rex de Lara (135 lbs/61.2 kg) vs Jayson Margallo (134.5 lbs/61 kg)
- Bantamweight: Harold Banario (140.4 lbs/63.7 kg)* vs Ariel Oliveros (133 lbs/60.3 kg)
- Featherweight: Rolando Gabriel Dy (145.9 lbs/66.2 kg) vs Mehmosh Raza (145.9 lbs/66.2 kg)
- Bantamweight: Jeremy Pacatiw (140.4 lbs/63.7 kg)* vs Marc Alcoba (135 lbs/61.2 kg)
- Lightweight: Cian Cowley (155 lbs/70.3 kg) vs John Brewin (155 lbs/70.3 kg)
- Brave Combat Federation Bantamweight Championship: Stephen Loman (134.5 lbs/61 kg) x Elias Boudegzdame (135 lbs/61.2 kg)
*Missed weight and fined
Here are more photos and videos from the fighters and supporters: