On October 27, 2018, the Ultimate Fighting Championship and ONE Championship traded two top mixed martial artists namely former UFC Flyweight Champion Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson, 33, and former ONE Welterweight World Champion Ben “Funky” Askren, 35. Both of them are fighting out of the United States.
One year after the trade, Johnson and Askren had three bouts in ONE Championship and the UFC, respectively. Here are the results:
- Askren submitted Robbie “Ruthless” Lawler, 37, of Coconut Creek, Florida, USA via bulldog choke at “UFC 235” at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States on March 2, 2019.
- Johnson submitted Yuya “Little Piranha” Wakamatsu, 24, of Kagoshima, Japan via guillotine choke at “ONE: A New Era” at the Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo, Japan on March 31, 2019.
- Jorge “Gamebred” Masvidal, 34, of Miami, Florida, USA knocked out Askren via flying knee at “UFC 239” at the T-Mobile Arena on July 6, 2019.
- Johnson defeated Tatsumitsu “The Sweeper” Wada, 30, of Kofu, Yamanashi, Japan via unanimous decision at “ONE: Dawn of Heroes” at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines on August 2, 2019.
- Johnson defeated Danny “The King”Kingad, 24, of the Philippines via unanimous decision at “ONE: Century 世紀” Part 1 at the Ryogoku Kokugikan on October 12, 2019.
- Demian Maia, 41, of Sao Paulo, Brazil submitted Askren via rear-naked choke at “UFC on ESPN+ 20” at the Singapore Indoor Stadium in Kallang, Singapore on October 26, 2019.
By defeating Kingad at “ONE: Century 世紀,” Johnson became the inaugural ONE Flyweight World Grand Prix Champion. He now holds a professional MMA record of 30 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw.
On the other hand, Askren now has 19 wins, 2 losses and 1 No Contest. He was an undefeated fighter from his professional MMA debut in 2009 to his stint in ONE Championship from 2014 to 2017 to his recent UFC debut.