Another Karen or an entitled racist woman made headlines just days before the end of 2020. On December 26, 2020, a woman was caught on camera attacking African-American jazz musician Keyon Harrold, 40, and his son Keyon Harrold Jr., 14.
Miya Taylor Ponsetto, 22, of Simi Valley, California, United States is now dubbed the SoHo Karen and the Arlo Hotel Karen. Here are 13 details about her crime:
- She was a guest at the Arlo SoHo Boutique Hotel on 231 Hudson Street in New York City, New York, United States. She checked out on December 23, 2020.
- On December 26, 2020, she returned to the Arlo SoHo Boutique Hotel claiming that she lost her iPhone.
- With the help of a male manager at the Arlo SoHo Boutique Hotel, she confronted Harrold and his son at the hotel lobby and tried to get the iPhone of the boy claiming it was hers.
- “Take the case off, that’s mine,” she told Harrold’s son before telling the hotel manager, “Literally, get it back.”
- Harrold protected his son and refused to comply to her demands so she decided to scratch the father and tackle and grab the son.
- A 1-minute video of her confrontation with Harrold and his son was captured by the father. She was wearing Birkenstocks. She was also masked but at one point, her face mask was removed, briefly revealing her face.
- A few minutes after confronting Harold and his son, her iPhone was returned by an Uber driver at the Arlo SoHo Boutique Hotel. She did not apologize to Harrold and his son. Staff members on duty at the Arlo SoHo Boutique Hotel allowed her to leave without facing consequences for attacking two of their guests.
- On December 27, 2020, the Arlo SoHo Boutique Hotel released a statement condemning her action without revealing her identity.
- The New York Police Department described her as a white woman.
- Some netizens claimed she was Cassandra Medina, a registered nurse from Staten Island, New York City, but Medina took to Instagram on December 27, 2020 to clarify that it was not her and condemn her actions.
- Other netizens claimed she was a woman named Francesca using the Instagram handle @miatravelgirl but Francesca took to Instagram on December 28, 2020 to also clarify that it was not her and condemn her actions. On the same day, a spokesperson from the Manhattan district attorney’s office told Intelligencer that the New York Police Department is investigating a complaint of harassment against her.
- On December 29, 2020, NYPD chief of detectives Rodney Harrison announced that the harassment complaint against her will be upgraded to assault.
- On December 29, 2020, she told CNN that she was assaulted during the encounter with Harrold and his son on December 26, 2020.
Before Ponsetto was identified as the SoHo Karen or the Arlo Hotel Karen, CONAN Daily conducted a poll about her identity. Here are the results: