March 10, 2020 marks the International Day of Awesomeness. However, the fact that people around the world are dying because of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is not an awesome one.
People from all walks of life are affected by the outbreaks. Concerts and sports events have been cancelled due to the threat posed by the coronavirus.
There are already more than 100,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 across the globe, according to the World Health Organization. Because of this, the WHO is asking the governments of each country to not allow the uncontrolled spread of the disease because it will harm not only the citizens of a country but also the other countries.
Moreover, the WHO noted that using universally applicable actions can slow down the spread of the virus and reduce its impact as demonstrated by China and other countries. Here are the 20 countries with the highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases as of March 10, 2020:
- China: 80,859 cases, 3,119 deaths
- Italy: 10,149 cases, 631 deaths
- Iran: 8,042 cases, 291 deaths
- South Korea: 7,513 cases, 53 deaths
- Spain: 1,204 cases, 28 deaths
- France: 1,126 cases, 30 deaths
- Germany: 1,112 cases, 2 deaths
- United States: 566 cases, 22 deaths
- Japan: 488 cases, 15 deaths (705 cases if the non-Japanese passengers on the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama, Japan are included)
- Netherlands: 382 cases, 4 deaths
- United Kingdom: 373 cases, 6 deaths
- Switzerland: 281 cases, 2 deaths
- Belgium: 200 cases
- Norway: 169 cases
- Sweden: 161 cases
- Singapore: 138 cases
- Hong Kong: 114 cases
- Austria: 104 cases
- Malaysia: 93 cases
- Bahrain: 85 cases